Hotmail users moved to Outlook Mail in 2013
Microsoft phased out Hotmail in 2013 and moved all Hotmail users to Outlook.com , where they still receive their Hotmail emails at their Hotmail addresses. The Outlook Mail interface is clean and easy to organize, but like any e-mail client, it can get a little awkward if you do not take steps to handle the incoming e-mail in an organized way. Setting up email folders and subdirectories in Outlook Mail is one way to keep your email manageable.
Create folders to organize your messages in Outlook Mail
To add a new directory in Outlook Mail to your computer:
- Place the mouse over the foldersin the left side.
- Click the plus signthat appears to the right of folders to create a new folder. If you use a web version of Outlook Mail, you will not have a plus sign to the right of folders. In this case, click on the new directory at the bottom of the directory list.
- Type the name of the new folder in the field that appears in the left panel.
- Click Enterto save the directory.
How to create a subfolder in Outlook Mail
You can add subfolders to any directory. This is how it is:
- In the left pane of Outlook Mail, expand Folders when closed.
- Right-click on the folder to which you want to add a subfolder.
- Select Create new subdirectory.
- Enter a name for the subdirectory in the field provided
- Press Enterto save the subdirectory.
How to delete a directory in Outlook Mail
If you no longer need a mail folder, you can delete it.
- In the folder list on the left side of the email screen, right-click on the folder or subdirectory you want to delete.
- Select Delete folder.
- Click OKto confirm the removal.