Abaroa House . It is an old building built in 1920 by the Spanish architect Jaime Pedreny under the commission of the businessman Andrónico Abaroa. In 2008 it was declared a National Historical Monument of Chile .
[ hide ]
- 1 Location
- 2 History
- 3 Arquitectura
- 4 National Monument
- 5 Present
- 6 See also
- 7 sources
Located at Avenida José Miguel Carrera No. 1715, Antofagasta , Chile .
The Abaroa House is an old building built by the Spanish architect Jaime Pedreny under the commission of the businessman Andrónico Abaroa who was the son of Eduardo Abaroa Hidalgo, hero of the Topáter combat.
The house was donated by his descendants (the Luksic family) to the Chilean State, who decided to hand it over as a loan to the Chilean Air Force. Later, it passed into the hands of the National Medical Service for Employees and then to the National Health Fund (FONASA).
The structure of the building deteriorated as a result of abandonment and climate action, being a victim of real estate speculation.
In 1998 the Catholic University of the North submitted an application to declare the house as a historical monument, which was unsuccessful. In 2000 the Regional Government of Antofagasta requested its designation again, being declared in 2008 .
It is administered by the Casa Abaroa Cultural Corporation, an entity that used the facilities as a historical saltpeter museum until its closure.
On July 17, 2002 , the Regional Council of Antofagasta declared the house as urban heritage, under the category of Historical Conservation Property (ICH), according to the General Law of Urbanism and Construction of the Ministry of Housing and Urbanism.
The neoclassical-style house has two floors with a basement, totaling an area of 1,716 m² built. It has two accesses, one main in the east wing of the house, and another service that connected with the waterfront.
It has a large gabled roof with a double dormer , arched windows and ornate balustrades on the main access stairs. The stairs are arranged parallel to the main door.
Towards the back, separated from the main house, are the service rooms and the patio that overlooks the sea .
Finally, there are two smaller constructions that end on both sides of the front garden, which originally functioned as a garage and gatehouse.
It was declared a National Historical Monument on February 6, 2008 , through Decree No. 465 of the Council of National Monuments of Chile.
A new project under the name of ‘Espacio Abaroa’, will recover the heritage property located in the heart of Parque Brasil de Antofagasta. The project seeks to transform the house into a civic and community space for culture , entrepreneurship and innovation of creative industries.