VLC is one of the most important and used players on both computers and mobile devices. If you have this cool software on Windows, it is best that you know How to set VLC as the default player in Windows 10? .
Setting an application as default will make all files compatible with it always open with that software. This is very convenient in case you want to open each video file with VLC. Read the following guide to learn how to do this.
Windows is the most important operating system in the world 10 the one that the vast majority of people use daily on their computers. Thanks to this, there are many programs that can be used on the platform, from paid programs to completely free software, as is the case with VLC.
VLC is a completely free video player that stands out for its extraordinary features. Without a doubt, it is one of the most recommended tools for playing multimedia content on computers with the Windows 10 operating system.
If you want to get this cool software, we recommend you visit Videolan, their website . In the same way, you should also know what the process is to make this player the default for Windows 10.
How to set VLC as the default player in Windows 10?
If you want to open all video files with the program, you should download and update the VLC codecs . Also, it would be best to set the software to be the default video player application. This procedure can be done very easily, just follow these steps:
- To set the VLC player as the default within Windows 10 system, the first thing to do is go to the OS configuration options. To do this, go to start and locate the “Configuration” section.
- Once you are in the configuration options, you must locate “System”, where the basic settings of the Windows 10 operating system are located.
- On this screen you should locate the section “Default applications / default applications” , once you have found this option, click on it.
- Here you will find the default settings for basic functions of the operating system, among them you should find “Video player”, by default there will be the Windows video playback tool, in this case you must click on it.
- By pressing on the previous option, all the applications capable of playing video on our system will be displayed on the screen. This is where you must select the VLC application, after doing this it will be configured as the default application for playing videos.
It is also convenient to use the methods to prevent Windows 10 from setting default apps automatically and that way VLC continues to remain as your default player.
Configure a file format to be opened with VLC
Many times, certain formats that are unknown to the operating system, go unnoticed and are not configured as a video format, so they will not open automatically with the VLC application . Anyway, there is a very simple configuration that you can follow in these cases:
- The first thing to do is locate the file that you want to open with the VLC program.
- When you have found the video file, right click on it and then go to “Properties”.
- Information related to the file, such as its format and weight, will be displayed on the screen. Either way, you must locate the “Opens with” section and click on the “Change” option .
- The “Open with” screen will appear where you can select the default application for that type of file. In the upper part, the recommended programs are shown, in the case of VLC, you just have to click on it and then on the “Accept” option.
- In the event that VLC does not appear, click on the “Other programs” tab and if it does not appear here, you must search for it directly through the “Browse …” option, although this is certainly something atypical.
With the previous process you will have correctly configured the opening of said file format with the VLC player . You can also download Skins for VLC on Windows 10 , in case you want to customize the player.
On the other hand, if you do not feel satisfied with the program, you can consider some of the best VLC alternatives , interesting options to play audio and video.