The donepezil helps reduce symptoms of dementia . It is used in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease .
How does Donezepil work?
Donepezil works by increasing the brain quantity of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine . To do this, it blocks the activity of the cholinesterase enzyme.
How is Donezepil taken?
Donezepil is taken orally , usually before going to sleep.
Side effects of Donezepil
Donezepil can cause a fatal syndrome (neuroleptic malignant syndrome) whose symptoms include fever, muscle stiffness, confusion, strange thoughts, fast or irregular heartbeat and sweating.
Other possible side effects of the drug (more frequent in people under 55 kg) are included:
- diarrhea ;
- dizziness ;
- loss of appetite;
- muscle cramps ;
- fatigue ;
- He retched;
- weight loss.
It is important to contact a doctor immediately in case of:
- urticaria ;
- itching ;
- breathing difficulties;
- feeling of tightness in the chest;
- swelling of the mouth, face, lips and tongue;
- stools dark or with blood ;
- chest pain;
- dark urine;
- painful, reduced or difficult urination;
- fainting ;
- flu symptoms;
- psychological or mood problems;
- pain, weakness or sensitivity of the muscles to the touch;
- breathing problems;
- severe dizziness or headache ;
- swelling of the hands, ankles or feet;
- severe tiredness or weakness;
- vomiting similar to blood or coffee.
Warnings on the use of Donepizil
Before taking donezepil it is important to tell your doctor:
- of any allergies to the active substance, its excipients or any other drug or food;
- of the medicines, officinal drugs and supplements taken, in particular NSAIDs, cholinergic agents, Cholinesterase inhibitors, Ketoconazole, Quinidine, Carbamazepine, Dexamethasone, Fenobarbital, Fenitoina, Rifampicin and anticholinergic drugs (which contrast acetylcholine);
- if you suffer (or have suffered) from Parkinson’s , difficulty swallowing tablets, metabolic, cardiovascular, gastrointestinal, liver or kidney problems, respiratory, muscle, urinary blockages, low thyroid hormone levels, brain injury or tumors increased brain pressure or epilepsy
- in case of recent head injuries ;
- if you are pregnant or breastfeeding ;
It is also good to inform surgeons and dentists of ongoing donezepil treatments.
Finally, Donezepil should not be taken by children .