The Doxazosin is used to treat ‘ high blood pressure and to improve urination in patients with benign prostatic hypertrophy .
What is Doxazosin?
Doxazosin works by relaxing the veins and arteries to facilitate the flow of blood within them. In addition, it relaxes the muscles in the prostate and bladder neck, facilitating urination.
How is Doxazosin taken?
Generally Doxazosin is administered orally .
Side effects of Doxazosin
Possible side effects of Doxazosin include:
- mild dizziness ;
- tiredness or drowsiness;
- headaches ;
- nausea ;
- a runny nose.
It is good to contact a doctor immediately in case of:
- feeling faint ;
- fast or heavy heart beat, strange chest sensations;
- breathing difficulties;
- swelling of the hands, ankles or feet;
- painful erection or lasting more than 4 hours.
Warnings on the use of Doxazosin
Doxazosin, especially in the first days of treatment, can cause dizziness and fainting , also compromising the ability to drive or operate dangerous machinery.
Before treatment with doxazosin it is important to tell your doctor if:
- of any allergies to the active substance, to its excipients or to any other drugs (in particular alfuzosin, prazosin, silodosin, tamsulosin and terazosin) or food;
- medicines, officinal drugs and supplements taken, in particular those to control blood pressure and diuretics ;
- if you suffer (or have suffered) from liver disease or prostate cancer ;
- if you are pregnant or breastfeeding ;
It is also important to inform doctors and surgeons about taking Doxazosin, especially in the case of cataract surgery , during which it can affect the pupils.