The Doxycycline is used to treat various bacterial infections such as acne , urinary tract infections , of ‘ intestines and eyes , gonorrhea and periodontitis .
In addition, it is used in the treatment of skin symptoms of rosacea , in the prevention of malaria and in its treatment in case of resistance to Chloroquine, in the therapy of anthrax and infections associated with mites, ticks and lice .
What is Doxycycline?
Doxycycline is a tetracycline , an antibacterial antibiotic. It works by blocking the creation of proteins by bacteria and interfering with the development of the malaria plasmodium.
How is Doxycycline taken?
Generally Doxycycline is administered orally in various forms and ways.
There are also methods to be applied to the skin and by injection .
Side effects of Doxycycline
In children under the age of 8, doxycycline can cause permanent yellowing of the teeth or make them gray.
Other possible adverse effects include:
- nausea , vomiting, stomach discomfort;
- mild diarrhea ;
- non-serious skin rashes or itching;
- itching or vaginal discharge .
It is good to contact a doctor immediately in case of:
- severe skin rashes;
- urticaria ;
- severe itching;
- breathing difficulties;
- feeling of tightness in the chest;
- swelling of the mouth, face, lips or tongue;
- vision problems;
- watery or bloody diarrhea;
- fever, swollen glands, pain, flu symptoms, weakness;
- skin rash, paleness , bruising or bleeding, tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness;
- pain in the upper part of the stomach which may extend to the back, loss of appetite, dark urine, yellowing of the skin;
- chest pains, irregular heartbeat, shortness of breath;
- confusion, nausea and vomiting, swelling, rapid weight gain, difficulty urinating;
- cough with fever, breathing problems;
- increased intracranial pressure (among the symptoms: severe headaches, hearing disorders, dizziness, nausea);
Warnings on the use of Doxycycline
Doxycilin can reduce the effectiveness of the birth control pill and increase the sensitivity of the skin to the sun .
It should be taken at least 2 hours after iron or calcium supplements, multivitamins, antacids or laxatives. It is also advisable to avoid taking other antibiotics at the same time (unless otherwise indicated by the doctor).
Also, before starting to take doxycycline, it is important to tell your doctor:
- of any allergies to the active substance, its excipients or any other drug (in particular to other tetracyclines) or food;
- medicines, officinal drugs and supplements taken, in particular Isotretinoin, anticonvulsants or anticoagulants;
- if you suffer (or have suffered) from lung or kidney disease , asthma , sulfite allergy or increased intracranial pressure ;
- if you are pregnant or breastfeeding .