On the thing, in pools, rivers … or with a simple walk. In midsummer the enemy is the sun. Avoiding your setbacks is easy if you follow some tips. This time Pilar Pérez, professor at the International University of La Rioja, offers the keys to minimize the risks that sun exposure brings.
- Before sunbathing, you should avoid using products that contain alcohol and perfumes, suchas colognes or deodorants, as they can lead to dark spots on the skin.
- The skin must be properly hydrated,clean and without makeup.
- Choose a sunscreen cream at highSPF 30 or very high PFS 50+ and with a physical filter for children under 2 years old and a chemical one for the rest of the population.
- This product should be applied about 30 minutesbefore sun exposure, which is the time it takes for the skin to absorb it, here the skin must be very dry.
5. Repeat the application always after bathing or excessive sweating.
- Often we put on an insufficient amount ofsun creamand to compensate we must apply it and, after half an hour, repeat this gesture.
- The first exposures to the sun should be progressivein doses of 10, 15 and 20 minutes and preferably in movement. It is not recommended more than half an hour a day.
- Do not use the sun creams from one year to the next,since they have remained in overheated places (cars, beaches …) and this can cause the filters to lose efficiency and the protection index of the product to be lowered.
- Take extreme precautionsbetween 12 and 16 hours when solar radiation is more aggressive, times when you should avoid sunbathing or increase protection.
- Equally careful we must be when it comes to protecting some areas of our body and face:the face, neck, head, neckline and ears, are more sensitive to the sun.
- Wearsuitable sunglasses , sunscreen pencils or lipsticks, and hats to protect the head.
- Ingest abundant liquid,to compensate for the loss that occurs in sun exposure.
Other complementary precautions
But the care does not end after the beach day, after sunbathing, the skin is damaged by air, dryness, chlorine or salt, so it is convenient to take a shower without using soaps with too many surfactants or perfumes. «Next, apply a moisturizer that nourishes, refreshes and hydrates the skin. The application of After Sun is a good option that will help us to prolong the tan, calm and hydrate our skin «.
Diet also helps prevent skin aging
In this sense, diet is also important in preventing accelerated skin aging, “in many cases, due to prolonged sun exposures, it is recommended to consume an adequate amount of fresh fruit, vegetables and cereals with a high level of fiber and antioxidants », Affirms the professor.
Finally, Pilar Pérez reminds us that hair suffers as much as the skin: «Every time you expose yourself to the sun or to the beach water, the hair dehydrates, loses shine and nutrients. In addition, the longer you spend in the water, the more protein your hair loses », that is why he recommends« using shampoo, mask or conditioning products with sunscreen. Also, if you go swimming often wear a cap and never expose yourself to the sun with wet or damp hair, as UV rays do more damage to the hair when it is not dry. If you have no other choice, cover it with a hat or scarf, especially if it is a time between twelve noon and five in the afternoon ».