Virginia strawberry . Plant herbaceous perennial, the family of the Rosaceae , and one of the fruits more popular in the world .
[ hide ]
- 1 Taxonomy
- 1 Etymology
- 2 Synonymy
- 3 Names
- 2 Habitat and geographical distribution
- 3 Description
- 1 Leaves
- 2 Flowers
- 3 fruits
- 4 Medicinal uses
- 5 Food uses
- 6 Sources
Fragaria virginiana was described by Philip Miller and published in The Gardeners Dictionary.
Fragaria: generic name that comes from the Latin fraga, ” strawberry “, which is derived from fragum, “fragrant”, where it refers to the fragrance of the fruit . virginiana: geographical epithet that refers to its location in Virginia .
Fragaria australis (Rydb.) Rydb, Fragaria canadensis Michx, Fragaria elatior Eaton, Fragaria firma Rydb, Fragaria glauca (S.Watson) Rydb, Fragaria grayana E.Vilm. ex J. Gay, Fragaria iowensis Prince, Fragaria michauxiana House, Fragaria multicipita Fernald, Fragaria odora Salisb, Fragaria ovalis (Lehm.) Rydb, Fragaria ovalis var. Quinata Lunell, Fragaria pauciflora Rydb, Fragaria platypetala Rydb., Fragaria prolifica Baker & Rydb. ex Rydb., Fragaria pumila Rydb., Fragaria serotina Raf., Fragaria sibbaldifolia Rydb., Fragaria suksdorfii Rydb., Fragaria terraenovae Rydb., Fragaria truncata Rydb., Fragaria umbelliformis FWSchultz, Fragaria yukoneis. and Potentilla virginiana (Mill.) EHLKrause
- Common name: Virginia strawberry
- Scientific name: Fragaria virginiana
Habitat and geographic distribution
This plant is native to the south of Canada and the state of Virginia in the United States . Some specimens also grow in southern Russia and Great Britain . The hybrid of this species with Fragaria chiloensis (Fragaria × ananassa) spread throughout the world .
The leaves are trifoliate colored green dark or light they grow both to create a stem of 2 cm long can produce 1000 sheets in the life of these plants the genus Fragaria these leaves serve as food for the insects of the genus Tetranychus absorbing the sapof the plant. Although the plant generates stems by the fall of the leaves of the plant, a small stem is generated that supplies food to the plant that at the same time causes the plant to produce better stolons that are at the same time creeping stems that allow the plant to reproduce. .
The flowers contain five petals that help and promote pollination by bees or other insects such as flies or dragonflies. These are white or light pink flowers ; the pollen produced by this plant is very light, so it can be pollinated by the wind .
Fruits : What we know as strawberry is actually a floral receptacle, an ether that when ripe produces a very bright and striking red color that has a very sweet flavor , like honey from bees.
- It contains a large amount of organic acids and vitamin C, mineral substances and sugars, making it highly appreciated for its flavor and its applications in medicine .
- The antioxidant power of strawberryis incomparable to that of any other fruit . Regarding the weight, it is the fruit that contains more carotene, vitamin C and vitamin E . Its consumption is recommended to prevent cancer .
- Regular consumption of strawberries helps to treat people with high blood pressure. Its consumption is also recommended for people who suffer from arthritis, rheumatism or gout, since the strawberry helps the body to eliminate excess uric acid .
- The consumption of strawberries has been used to combat childhood worms.
- In natural medicine it was used to clean the digestive system.