Shuba or Herring under the fur coat . Shuba is a delicious Russian salad made with herring . Really very popular and beloved in Russia . This dish is a must-have for Russian New Year’s dinners, birthdays and holidays. The name of the salad in Russian is shorter “Seliodka pod shuboy” (which means “fur coat”). Its rare flavor, its simplicity and the affordability of its result ensured its rapid diffusion, which to this day It lasts as one of the most beloved and memorable dishes in the traditional Russian recipe book. Shuba is a layered salad made up basically of potatoes, carrots, beets and herring. In RussiaUsually called fur coat, which comes from hearring under a fur coat (herring under a fur-coat that simulates fish covered by layers of vegetables). Beets stain mayonnaise red giving it its peculiar reddish hue.
- 2 salted herring fillets (boneless)
- 3 eggs
- 3 potatoes
- 3 carrots
- 3 beets
- 1 onion
- Cook potatoes, carrots and beets separately (in Spain it is sold already cooked). Let cool. Peel.
- Cook the eggs . Let cool. Peel.
- Cut the herring fillets into small pieces.
- Peel the onion and cut it fine.
- Set aside one of the cooked eggs for the garnish.
- Grate potatoes, carrots, beets and eggs separately using the grater part with larger diameter holes.
Spread the ingredients in layers. Spread mayonnaise between the floors and season lightly:
- 1st layer: potato + mayonnaise
- 2nd layer: herring + onion + mayonnaise
- 3rd layer: eggs + mayonnaise
- 4th layer: carrots + mayonnaise
- 5th layer: beets + mayonnaise
The 5th layer (beet) has to cover the entire cake. Lastly, add a thick layer of mayonnaise that can be garnished with the grated egg yolk. Let cool in the fridge for 5 hours.