Marraqueta. This bread, which is the most traditional and consumed in Chile , is manufactured only in bakeries, due to the characteristics of these industrial-type ovens, which are prepared to generate abundant humidity, which is the key to this bread .
[ hide ]
- 1 Story
- 2 Ingredients
- 3 Preparation
- 4 Sources
The marraqueta, a bread invented by the Marraquette brothers, French who arrived in Valparaiso at the beginning of the century, is a bread that takes its particular shape due to the way it is kneaded: 2 balls of dough are taken, that is, 2 loaves, and they are put together for the following reason: The transverse slit that characterizes it is made with a wooden instrument that is long enough to do two loaves at a time, and thus save time, but not more (and that the marraqueta in It can really be broken into 3 or more) because it becomes more difficult to manipulate. For this reason, the loaves are actually Siamese but not a unit.
- 1 kilo of flourwithout baking powder
- 20 grams of yeast
- 1/2 tablespoon of sugar
- In a cup with a third of warm wateradd the sugar and the yeast . Let it rest for about 15 minutes so that it increases.
- We put the flouron a surface to knead and make a circle to put the water inside with the yeast . We dissolve the salt in half a cup of warm water and also add to the flour .
- We begin to knead and add warm water to give consistency to the dough. Important to knead for 30 minutes.
- We finish kneading and immediately take out portions of dough to shape our breads. This technique consists of taking pairs of dough balls, joining them with just one touch and pressing them a bit with your hands against a surface.
- Then, when we see that we have two circles of dough joined in the shape of 8, we sink a stick or strip of about 2 cm in diameter along it (leaving a charged mark along the bread, which is about 15 to 20 cm long by 7 to 9 wide).
- Then we give a brush stroke of oilto each bread and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, we turn the ovenon high heat to heat up a lot. And most importantly, the key and the secret is to put a large pan of boiling water in the oven .
- Let it heat at least 15 minutes before putting the bread.
- Then put the breadin the previously oiled tray and bake over medium heat for approximately 1 hour or until we see that it is already well browned.
- We must keep the fountain with waterin the oven during all this time , and if it runs out we replace with boiling water.
- Serve hot (and you can put butter, cheese , ham or cured meats in general)