Puff pastry . It is a mass that is characterized by being made up of layers, which are formed by the multiple turns and stretches that are given to the mass. The fat that is placed between the layers allows the heat to melt it at the time of baking, and gives off steam that elevates the layers one on top of the other, expanding the puff pastry on top, making it light and crisp.
[ hide ]
- 1 Ingredients
- 2 Preparation Mode
- 3 Tips and Tricks
- 4 Source
- 1 kg of flour .
- 500 cc of water.
- 60 gr of butter .
- 2 teaspoons salt .
- 800 gr of margarine or butter (fat).
- The paste is prepared by placing the flour on the counter, and making a hole in the middle we are placing the salt, the water and the 60 gr of butter in pieces. We mix little by little with a spoon and then we knead by hand on a smooth surface until we get a bound, soft, dry, non-sticky dough and an intermediate between hard and soft. We form a ball and let it rest for 15 minutes in the refrigerator.
- It is important at all times to avoid manipulating the dough too much since it is very delicate because it contains a lot of butter, which could be cut.
- After 15 minutes, we take the dough ball and stretch it so that it simulates an open four-pointed star. In this way it will be easier to perform the next step, which will be to place the rest of the butter, margarine or whatever we have chosen in the center, and then close it completely in order to avoid leaks.
- Another perhaps easier option is to roll out the puff pastry in a rectangle and spread the butter over the entire surface.
- After placing the butter, either smeared on the rectangle or on the center of the star, we must stretch the dough until it reaches a thickness of about 8-10 millimeters. Here it is important to try to prevent the butter from falling out of the dough. For this it is necessary not to crush the dough, but to work it gently, flouring the rolling pin and the table to prevent it from sticking and breaking, but without placing too much flour.
Tips and Tricks
- It is important to note that the dough and butter must have the same consistency when working, that is, that the butter ( butter ) must be neither too soft nor too hard.
- The puff pastry can be prepared in advance, since it is kept very well in the fridge (one or two days) wrapped in aluminum foil and on the bottom of it, but it is convenient to give it the last two turns (third stage) the day it will be used.
- It is kept raw in the freezer.
- To cook the puff pastry put it directly on the clean roasting pan, it is not necessary to butter it or add oil , it is enough with the fat that the dough already has.
- Keep in mind that if you want to keep in the fridge or freeze leftover puff pastry, they should only be joined without kneading.