In Islam, in addition to performing the prayer we are also instructed to perform the Zakat worship. This zakat service is also obligatory for us to do because by issuing zakat we can also help our brothers who are in need and have the right to receive.
That is why many of the Zakat, Infaq and Sadaqah Charity Institutions (LAZIS) have come to assist us in receiving and then channeling alms from some people to help others.
Well , for a little help knowledge about zakat. So, on this occasion we will learn about what is meant by zakat. Starting from the understanding, the kinds, who has the right to receive it and then what is the wisdom of zakat itself.
Know the Meaning of Zakat and the Law
Learning about zakat, the language of the word zakat is derived from the word ‘ zakkaa ‘ which means to cleanse or purify. As for the term, zakat has the meaning of removing from a certain amount of assets that has reached the size of the Nisab or the minimum amount.
As for performing this worship the law is obligatory for those who are able to perform it.
Various – Kinds of Zakat
If in Ramadhan we are often invited by our parents or relatives to pay zakat fitrah then we must do it. In addition to training ourselves to be able to issue zakat. Also to arise a sense of humanity in us to help people who are less able.
We need to know together, in addition to issuing zakat fitrah in the month of Ramadan Muslims are also required to issue zakat from their property or so-called zakat mall. Well , here is a little explanation of zakat fitrah and zakat mall.
1. Zakat Fitrah
a. Definition of Zakat Fitrah, its Amount and the Time of Collection
Zakat fitrah is zakat which must be issued by every Muslim once a year, precisely in the month of Ramadan. Zakat fitrah is in the form of our daily staple foods, which can be rice, wheat, corn, dates, and so on.
The amount to be spent is as much as 1 sha ‘or around 2.7 kg or 3.5 liters of each person.
Zakat fitrah which has been collected a lot, will be distributed by amil zakat or the person in charge of collecting and distributing zakat to those who are entitled to receive zakat fitrah.
The time to collect and pay zakat fitrah is since the beginning of the month of Ramadhan namely the first day of Ramadan until before the Eid prayer is held.
Usually this zakat fitrah is distributed to those who are entitled to receive it before the Idul Fitri holiday. The distribution of zakat fitrah is so that those who are less able can also feel the happiness together at the time the Muslim holiday is being celebrated.
b. People who are obliged to issue Zakat Fitrah
People who are obliged to issue zakat fitrah are:
- Muslim, both male and female, ranging from infancy to old age or old age.
- Have sufficient property or income, both for food or for daily needs. This is because parents also share the zakat fitrah of their children.
- Babies born and live after sunset at the end of the month of Ramadan (born before the Eid prayer)
- Infants or people who die after the sun sets at the end of the month of Ramadan (dies before the Eid prayer)
2. Zakat Mal (Zakat of Wealth)
a. Understanding Zakat Mal
Zakat mal can also be referred to as zakat from the assets that we have. It means removing some of the assets that we already have, when it reaches the Nisab.
Nisab is a property that has reached a certain size or amount in one year. Each treasure that must be inspected, has a size or quantity that differs from one another.
b. Terms of Compulsory Zakat Mal
The requirements for zakat mal are as follows:
- Baligh and reason (not crazy)
- The property goes into the property to be inspected
- The property has been up to a year and,
- The property is one’s own, not someone else’s
c. Variety of Assured Property
As for the property to be inspected, the following are:
- Money saved for one year
- Gold and silver jewelry stored for one year
- Assets or money generated from working or trading businesses
- Agricultural product. Such as: rice, pulses, cloves, and so on
- Such as: goats, buffalo, cows, and camels
- Discovery things. Such as: money, jewelry, jars or other valuable objects that have high value and if cashed out of course very many in number
Those Who Are Entitled to Receive Zakat
The people who are eligible to receive the alms or the benefits of this charity have been explained by Allah swt. in the Qur’an, exactly in the QS. at-Taubah (9): 60, as follows:
Nma ٱlsdqt llfqra’ vٱlmskyn vٱlmlyn upon vٱlmvlfh qlvbhm vfy ٱlrqab vٱlghrmyn vfy ٱllh vٱbn ٱlsbyl fryzh Jean de ٱllh vٱllh Alim Hakim 60
“Indeed, charity is only for the poor, the poor, the charities, the charities of the heart, to (liberate) the slaves, the debtors, for the way of Allah and for those who are on the way, as a decree that Allah requires, and Allah is All-Knowing, All-Wise ”
To make it easier to understand and explain it, let’s read carefully the explanation of the eight classes of people who are entitled to zakat or mustahik zakat:
- Poor people, those people whose lives are very miserable and deprived, do not have the wealth and energy to meet their daily needs.
- Poor people, i.e. people who have low incomes, making it difficult to meet their daily needs.
- Amil zakat or people who take care of zakat, from collecting zakat to distributing it.
- Converts, those who are new to Islam and whose faith is still weak.
- A person who is in debt, that is, someone who is in debt for something that is beneficial to religion, not for immorality, and that person cannot afford to pay it
- People who struggle in the way of Allah ( fii sabilillaah), those who always fight for the needs and interests of the Islamic religion. Such people also include those who fight for the public interest, such as building mosques, prayer rooms, schools or madrassas, hospitals and so on.
- I am a slave, a slave to be set free.
- Ibnu Sabil, a child who is in the process of seeking knowledge in a distant place and running out of stock or experiencing difficulties in the financing process.
Wisdom Is Spending Zakat
Every thing we do, of course, has its own wisdom in it, including the issue of zakat. Whether it’s zakat fitrah or zakat mall.
Then what are the lessons from issuing the zakat ?. These lessons include:
- Cleanse our possessions and cleanse our souls from greed, greed, and miser.
- Help others who are experiencing difficulties or difficulties from an economic perspective.
- Train yourself to have souls helping each other and caring for each other
- Encourage every human being to be responsible and honest for his possessions.
- Give a warning that the wealth that exists in humans, is only a deposit from Allah Almighty.
Thus a brief explanation of the material zakat, both about zakat fitrah or zakat mal. Hopefully with the additional information and material about zakat above, it can help us all to set aside some of what we have, and we can share it with those in need. May be useful