If you think the time has come to close your Tumblr account , in this article we are going to show you all the steps to follow. The first thing we must bear in mind is that all the content that we have published on this microblogging network where we can publish, images, videos, links and others will be permanently lost.
It will be permanently lost as long as we have not previously backed up all the content we have published. Carrying out this process never hurts and will allow us to always have at hand (you never know when we may need it) all the content we have published .
- 1 Make a Tumblr backup
- 1 What does the content we download from Tumblr include
- 2 How to delete a Tumblr account
- 3 What is Tumblr
As I mentioned at the beginning of this article, if we delete our Tumblr account and have not previously made a backup, therefore, if we want to avoid future dramas , the first thing we should do is download all the content that we have published in this platform since we started using it.
Here are the steps to follow to make a backup of our Tumblr before closing it.
- The first thing we must do is visit the following link that takes us to the configuration options of our account.
- Next, we select the blog from which we want to download all the content from the right side of the screen.
- Next, we go to the final part of that page and click on the Export blog-name button
Once we have requested the backup, when it has been done, we will receive an email with a link to download it.
This link will take us to the same section where we request the backup . To download, we must click on the Download backup button . To the right of that button, the date on which we request to create the backup is displayed.
What does the content we download from Tumblr include
All content included in the backup is distributed as follows and includes:
- A folder called Posts , where we will find all the publications in HMTL format independently that we can open with any browser and that include the drafts, the private publications, all the hidden content and the publications that we have marked as favorites.
- In the Media folder , we will find all the multimedia content that we have published on Tumblr, be it images, GIFs or videos in the format that we share on the platform.
- All the conversations that we have had in our or other publications, we find it in a file in XML format.
- In addition, a compilation of all publications will also be downloaded in a single file, also in XML format.
We can do this process both from the desktop version and with the application for mobile devices that Tumblr makes available to us.
How to delete a Tumblr account
Unlike the previous process that we can do from a mobile device through the application itself, the process to permanently delete a Tumblr account can only be done from a browser.
If we have two-step authentication activated , we will have to enter the code that the service sends us by mail when we proceed to delete the account so that we can confirm that we are the legitimate owners of the account.
When deleting a Tumblr account, all the blogs that we have created from our account (if it has been the case) will be deleted , both the main one and the secondary ones.
To delete a Tumblr account , we must perform the steps detailed below:
- First of all, we must access the configuration options of our Tumblr account through this link.
- Next, we go to the bottom of the Account section and click on the Delete account button .
- Next, we must enter the email associated with our account along with the password. If we also have two-step authentication configured, we will receive a code that we must also enter.
Finally, the website will show us the message ” Too bad, it no longer exists …” thus confirming that our account and all its content has been completely removed from this platform and inviting us to register again.
If in the future, we want to use this platform again, we can reuse the same email that we used to create the old account, since, since all the associated content has been removed, there will be no previous record of our stay in this platform.
What is Tumblr
If we talk about blogs, we have to talk about WordPress, the platform that dominates most of the market for this type of web page. Tumblr became part of WordPress in 2019 , after having passed through the hands of Yahoo, for 3 million dollars, much less than what Yahoo paid at the time when it bought it in 2013 for more than 1,100 million dollars.
Still, Automattic’s purchase of Tumblr. Inc (the company behind WordPress) was the largest that the company has made since its inception, and unlike the purchases made by other companies in the same sector, the company is and will continue to be independent.
Practically since its inception in 2007, and although it was not the company’s objective, this platform became a showcase for publishing pornographic content, according to The New York Times, although according to its creator, David Karp, that content only represented between 2 and 4% of the traffic.
Due to the different controversies that surrounded the company for its pornographic, anti-Semitic and other content, the company implemented a Safe Mode , classifying all content not appropriate for all ages as NSFW (Not Safe For Work).
Even so, since December 2018, Tumblr completely banned all this type of content , something that logically did not sit well in the community, forcing these disgruntled users to use other platforms such as 4chan and the like, where you can find the worst and most denigrating of the internet.