Google Nest is the new Wi-Fi system created by the famous Google company, created to replace the previous Wi-Fi router which is composed of a router and access points. However, as it is a new system and very little known to many users, it tends to become a bit difficult to understand how to use it, so we will show you how to connect a Google Nest router to Wi-Fi .
This new mesh Wi-Fi system contains access points that help extend coverage within the home, which function as speakers for the Google Assistant system.
- What is needed to be able to do the configuration correctly?
- What is the procedure to configure the Google Nest Router?
- How can we add an additional router to our Google Nest?
- What can I do if my device does not allow me to configure it?
- Restart the router
- Check the physical connection
- Factory data reset
- Contact technical support
What is needed to be able to do the configuration correctly?
How to correctly configure the Google Nest Wi-Fi you will need a series of requirements so that, when you start the procedure, you have everything at your fingertips.
- Mainly, you need a Google Nest Wi-Fi Router, plus a few other optional devices that you want to add to expand the range of your network. Some of these devices could be: other Google Nest Wifi routers or access points, either Google Nest Wi-Fi or Google Wi-Fi.
- Similarly, an important requirement to be able to proceed with the installation is to have your own modem because the Google Wi-Fi system does not provide it.
- Likewise, you will also need a Google account and a mobile device, such as: an Android tablet or phone that runs Android 6.0 or a later version, as well as an iPhone or iPod mobile that has iOS 12.0 or a later version.
- On the other hand, you will also need to have the latest version of Google Home installed that is available for Android and iOS.
- Finally, one of the primary requirements is to have Internet service, which, generally, providers use VLAN tagging. Because of this, you may need additional equipment for Google Wi-Fi to work properly, or you can try setting the VLAN of your router .
Users who want to start using Google Nest Wi-Fi are advised to purchase their devices in their country of residence . This is because wireless settings may vary by country, as moving the device can cause compatibility issues.
What is the procedure to configure the Google Nest Router?
Before starting the procedure to configure the Google Nest router, you must make sure that your modem works correctly and verify that the internet connection is stable.
- Mainly, to start configuring your Google Nest router you must install the application on your Android or iOS device. If this is your first time using this system, you just have to configure your Google Home device .
- Next, you must choose a location to put the routertaking into account that it must be connected to the modem and have a stable internet connection. It is recommended to place it on a shelf or a television stand, to have it in plain sight and to obtain a stronger signal.
- The next step is to connect one end of the Ethernet cable to the WAN port of your Nest Wi-Fi router and the other end to the modem.
- Now, you must connect your Nest Wi-Fi router to an outletwhich will turn on a white light after about a minute, indicating that it is already on and ready to be configured.
- Continuing with the configuration, now you must open the Google Home application on your device and press the “+” button to add, go to “Configure device”, select the option “New device” and choose a house.
- Likewise, you must select the Nest Wi-Fi router and with your mobile scan the QR code , located at the bottom of the device. However, if you cannot scan the QR code, you can select the option “Continue without scanning”and enter the configuration key located at the bottom of the device.
- Similarly, you must select a room to put the router or create a new one, and assign a name and password that you consider safe for your Wi-Fi network.
- Finally, the router will create your new Wi-Fi network, which may take a few minutes to complete. Also, if you want to add another Wi-Fi device, press the “YES” option to continue.
How can we add an additional router to our Google Nest?
The Google Nest Wi-Fi network lets you add new devices so you can get better coverage and connection. Likewise, if you want to add additional devices to your Google Nest, and you have already decided where to locate it, you just have to follow the steps that we will show you below:
- First, you must enter the Google Home application and press add (+), now select the option “Configure device” and choose “New Device”.
- Next, if requested, you must choose a house, followed by selecting the device you want to add as an access point and press “Next”.
- Now you must scan the QR code located at the bottom of the deviceyou want to add, if you do not want to scan it, you can choose the option “Continue without scanning” and enter the configuration key located at the bottom of the device.
- Next, your access point will connect, in case the access points are Nest Wi-Fi, you must press YES when the sound plays.
- To complete the configuration, you just have to follow the steps shown by the application, in addition, if you want to add more access points, you just have to press “YES”in the application when it tells you to. If you want to add new access points at another time, you just have to repeat these steps again, always following the instructions in order.
- Finally, once you’ve added the access points and Google Nest Wi-Fi devices, the app will run a mesh test to verify proper system operation.
What can I do if my device does not allow me to configure it?
Just like installing or configuring any other system, there may be a problem with Google Nest Wi-Fi when you go through the setup or something may have gone wrong . However, you should not worry, you just have to perform one of the following indications to solve it:
Restart the router
It may be that at the time of performing any of the previous procedures something has gone wrong, to solve it you can restart the router, disconnect the modem and the access point , after a few minutes you reconnect them and turn them on.
Check the physical connection
If your system has a connection problem or does not allow you to configure the configuration, the physical connections may have a fault. You must verify that the WAN or power cables are well connected to both the router and the modem and the connection points.
Factory data reset
If the problem persists, the router or access point configurations may have presented an error, to solve it you just have to reset the device to factory data and start the procedures again. To reset the device to factory mode, you must take into account that all previously modified data and settings will return to their original settings .
In addition, the access point devices are unlinked from the main router and your Google account will be logged out, with that said, Nest Wi-Fi devices can be reset to factory data as follows:
- Using the Google Home applicationyou can establish any device that has been configured from it, eliminating all the data from the application and services in the cloud. Once this is done, all the factory settings of the devices that you have reset will be established.
- From the Google Wi-Fi application you can restore the factory data of your devices, taking into account that you have not configured them from Google Home.
- When you cannot access your devices from any of the previous applications, you can restore the factory data by using the Hardware reset buttonthat the devices have.
Contact technical support
If none of the solutions described above have resolved your device configuration problem, you can also contact technical support . You just have to enter the Google Nest help platform to be able to contact Technical Support.