If there are two routers, then they can be easily combined in one network. This should be done to stabilize the signal and increase the coverage area. In this case, one device will work as a classic router, and the other will play the role of a repeater, i.e. receive a signal from an already configured working router and transmit it further. This guide covers everything you need to connect one router to another.
To connect devices, the user will need:
- A pair of routers : main – (hereinafter A) and secondary hereinafter B).
- Since the devices can be connected either via cable or via Wi-Fi, LAN is needed to implement the first method.
- PC to change parameters.
- If we talk about Wi-Fi connection, then in the case of some PCs, a Wi-Fi adapter is also required.
It is better to choose routers that are capable of working as repeaters. Of course, you can buy a repeater separately, but many manufacturers produce network devices with this function, for example, Asus or TP-Link . Based on their example, this instruction was created.
In the case of other devices, the interface of the settings menu may slightly differ, but the procedure is identical.
See also: How to set up a site-to-site PPTP VPN connection on a TP-Link router in 3 steps
Installing the first router
If the main router (A) is not yet connected to the network and is not configured, then this section will tell you what to do. The first step is to get to the settings page of router A:
- In order to be on the web interface, you need to correctly connect it to the PC: through one of the LAN ports. And to connect the cable of the Internet provider, you need a WAN input. After the connection is made, you need to launch some kind of browser.
- In the search line, you need to register the IP device in order to get to the page of its settings. This information is most often found on a sticker (on the bottom of the router ) or in the instructions for it. The default login with a password for authorization is admin.
- After entering the data, the device management interface opens, where you need to determine the type of connection. This information is provided by your network service provider.
|Connection type||Where to include|
|PPPoE||Go to the Network – WAN section.|
|Connection type – PPPoE.|
|Enter your username and password (information is specified with the service provider).|
|The rest of the settings should be left as default and Save.|
|Static IP||1. Enter the Network – WAN section.|
|2. Select the type of connection – Static IP.|
|3. Enter the data provided by the service provider: IP address, netmask, gateway IP address, primary and secondary DNS servers.|
|Other settings do not need to be changed. After entering all the data, it is important to save the changes made.|
|Dynamic IP||Go to the Network – WAN section.|
|Select Dynamic IP.|
|Other settings should be left unchanged. It is important to remember to save your changes after completing the settings.|
|Advice:||If the connection is not established, it is necessary to inform the provider of the mac-address of the router.|
|PPTP||1. Go to the Network – WAN section.|
|2. Select a PPTP connection.|
|3. Enter the login and password provided by the provider.|
|4. Specify the address of the VPN server.|
|5. Save changes.|
Interestingly in ARCHER-C5400X already eight antennas and great speed infoobmena on wi-fi – over 5 Gbps. With such a model, no manipulation of the settings of the two routers is required – it provides very decent coverage.
Option PPTP + static is possible. In this case, you need to add the addresses provided by the provider, according to the scheme identical to the settings for the dynamic connection type.
Now you need to configure the wi-fi. Detailed guidance is in the following table.
|How to set up Wi-Fi|
|Wi-Fi section – Basic settings||Set SSID – network name.|
|Channel: you can leave auto.|
|Mode: 802.11 BGN mixed.|
|Max. number of clients: 0. The parameter indicates that the number of connected devices is not limited.|
|To save the changes, click “Apply”.|
|Section Wi-Fi – Security Settings||Network Authentication: WPA-PSK / WPA2-PSK mixed is recommended.|
|Encryption key PSK: here you need to enter the network password between 8 and 63 characters.|
|WPA Encryption: TKIP + AES.|
|WPA key renewal period: the recommended value is 3600.|
Tip : If you need a simple and inexpensive option, the TL-WR845N triple antenna will do. Its speed is good, and its owner also has the ability to distribute traffic between connected gadgets.
Find out: How to set up a router as a switch: instructions in 12 easy steps
Installing a second router
In order for two devices to work in tandem on the same network, the secondary device (B) must be turned on as a repeater. To do this, the user needs to perform a few simple steps:
- Go to the parameters of the device B as described above, and go to the “Operating mode” through the tab called “Administration”.
- Find the desired mode, activate it and save.
- When the reboot is complete, it will search for networks with which the device can connect and display a list of them. It remains only to choose your own and connect to it.
Recommendation : for a large apartment or private house, you need a powerful device like the RT-AC1200 . You don’t have to bother with powerline adapters or connect a second router with it.
If there is no repeater, and the router does not support the repeater function, it is possible to configure a network bridge – WDS (devices are connected via Wi-Fi). It is also suitable for expanding the network: the signal is received from the main router and distributed further.
However, in this case, another network is created with a separate username and password. The repeater is more convenient to use: the device simply clones the network that already exists and makes it more powerful.
The bridge also makes it possible to use the device as a receiver. This option can be useful when connecting devices to a network without a Wi-Fi module. However, in this case, you can use a USB Wi-Fi adapter .
It is important to consider that to use WDS technology, you need to adhere to the rules:
- Both devices must be on the same frequency.
- The encryption and key must be identical.
Ideally, you should buy the same models from the same manufacturer.
Instruction: How to set up ASUS router as a VPN server in 5 steps?
Connecting two routers via Wi Fi
In this case, A is used as a signal source and B is used as an access point.
How to connect two devices via Wi-Fi:
- You need to connect A to your PC and configure it in the same way as if you were using only one device. A step-by-step instruction, taking into account the most popular connection types, is above.
- Connect PC to device B.
- Open the window with the parameters of the wireless network via Start and enter the item to select the Internet protocol.
- Select Router B and configure IPv4.
- In the Properties, enter the required data in the address field (specific to the manufacturer) and save.
Interesting : AC10U transmits over a gigabit of data via Wi-Fi, and it also has a USB input for an external drive. This makes it possible to organize something like a cloud for gadgets on your network.
- Open a browser and enter the IP of the device.
- Activate the network search and select the one that belongs to the device A.
On the topic: How to increase the speed of the Internet through a Wi-Fi network of a router: 7 real ways
Connecting two routers via cable
In this case, twisted pair is used. At its ends there are connectors – plastic or metal adapters – for connecting to the connectors of the router.
To connect routers to each other, you need to do this:
- Plug one end of the cord into the LAN of device A, and the other into the WAN input of device B.
- Device A must be configured in accordance with the type of connection as described in the installation section.
- Device B needs to be assigned a dynamic IP.
To activate the network, you will need to reboot the second router. To do this, it must be disconnected from the power source and turned on again after a few seconds. This is necessary so that the router can determine the specified IP. If Router A is turned on, and Internet access is configured, then the secondary device will be able to enter the network.
Recommendation : after all the manipulations, it is better to restart the laptop or PC that is connected to router B.
Now that the network is running, you can connect all computers to it via Wi-Fi or via LANs on one of the network devices. A router will give each gadget an individual IP.
- Record the ip of all connected gadgets and network devices: if any failures occur, everything will be easier to reconfigure.
- You can increase the level of information protection with the help of another – NAT – router. The connection scheme is simple – WAN-LAN. You can use the LAN of any of the active routers. After that, you need to activate DHCP on the device and transfer the third device to any of the subnets, the main thing is that it differs from the main one.
Useful: How to open ports on a router: instructions and 3 ways to solve possible problems
As you can see, it is not at all difficult to connect two routers into one network yourself: it is not necessary to call the master. Any method described in this tutorial works. Here everyone chooses what suits him best. Everything is easy to set up, it is only important not to forget to enter the IP of your device.