The Terazosin is used to treat symptoms of ‘ benign prostatic hypertrophy . It is also indicated in the treatment of high blood pressure , both alone and in combination with other drugs.
How does Terazosin work?
Terazosin works by relaxing the blood vessels and muscles associated with the bladder and prostate , since it is a drug with an alpha-blocking action .
How is Terazosin taken?
Terazosin should be taken in the form of capsules orally . The dosage can be two capsules per day, or one capsule per day before bedtime.
Your doctor may decide to gradually increase the initial prescription dosage.
Side effects of Terazosin
Among the potential side effects of Terazosin are:
- stuffy or runny nose
- fogging of vision
- swelling of the hands, feet, ankles and calves
- weight gain
- sexual dysfunction
- pain, burning, numbness or tingling in the hands or feet
A doctor should be contacted without hesitation if one of the following symptoms occurs:
- painful and prolonged erections
- shortness of breath
- fast, heavy or irregular heart beat
Contraindications and warnings on the use of Terazosin
Terazosin can cause dizziness when getting up quickly. In addition, this drug may impair your ability to drive and operate dangerous machinery.
Before starting treatment it is important to tell your doctor:
- of allergy to the active ingredient, doxazosin, to Prazosin or any other drug;
- of the medicines, phytotherapy and supplements taken , remembering to mention the drugs against erectile dysfunction and antihypertensives;
- if you have suffered or still suffer from prostate cancer in the past ;
- if taken against hypertension , if pregnant or breastfeeding ;
- your doctor, surgeon or dentist should always be informed about ongoing Terazoside therapy.