The Terbinafine is an antifungal drug that is mainly used in the treatment of fungal nail the hands and feet .
What is Terbinafine?
Terbinafine works by killing fungi sensitive to its action .
How is Terbinafine taken?
Terbinafine is applied in the form of nail polish or is administered orally .
Side effects of Terbinafine
Terbinafine can trigger serious skin reactions . This drug can also cause severe liver reactions, alter taste and smell and increase the sensitivity of the skin to the sun, or it can reduce the body’s ability to fight infections.
Its additional potential side effects include:
- mild stomach pain
The doctor should be contacted without hesitation if one of the following symptoms occurs:
- feeling of tightness or chest pain
- swelling of the mouth, face, lips or tongue
- unusual hoarseness
- burning, numbness or tingling
- changes in mood or behavior
- new or worsening lupus symptoms
- pallor (including nails)
- severe pain or sensitivity to muscles or joints
- breathing difficulties
- severe or persistent stomach pain
- liver problems
- bruising or bleeding
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- vision or hearing problems
Contraindications and warnings on the use of Terbinafine
Terbinafine can be contraindicated in case of liver problems.
Before starting treatment it is important to tell your doctor:
- of any allergies to the active substance, its excipients, to any other drug, to foods or other substances;
- of the medicines, phytotherapics and supplements taken , in particular Amiodarone, Cimetidine, Fluconazole, Ketoconazole, Rifampicin, antiarrhythmics, beta-blockers, Dextromethorphan, MAO inhibitors, SSRIs, tricyclic antidepressants, anticoagulants, Cyclosporin, Tamoxifen and drinks ) containing caffeine;
- if you have suffered or still suffer from liver or kidney problems, systemic lupus erythematosus, psoriasis , blood diseases, low white blood cells or weak immune systems in the past ;
- if you have an addiction to alcohol or if you abuse alcohol;
- if you are pregnant or breastfeeding .
If you use nail polish , it is good to wear gloves to perform tasks that require you to wet your hands or handle chemicals. Terbinafine may impair your ability to drive and use dangerous machinery.
Your doctor, surgeon or dentist should always be informed of Terbinafine intake.