As the competition grows and the products offered in the market are more and more varied, the consumers become more and more demanding. They are not only looking for quality and good prices, but also good customer service.
Customer service is the service or attention that a company or business provides to its clients when dealing with their queries, orders or claims, selling a product or delivering it to them.
To better understand his concept, let us see below the factors involved in customer service:
- Friendliness : Friendliness refers to the friendly, courteous and helpful treatment. It occurs, for example, when workers greet the customer with a sincere smile, when they let them know that they are there to serve them, when they make them feel that they are genuinely interested in satisfying rather than selling, etc.
- Personalized attention : personalized attention is direct or personal attention that takes into account the particular needs, tastes and preferences of the client. It occurs, for example, when the same worker attends to a client during the entire purchase process, when the client is provided with a product specially designed according to their particular needs, tastes and preferences, etc.
- Speed of attention : speed of attention is the speed with which customer orders are taken, their product is delivered, or their queries or complaints are answered. This occurs, for example, when there are simple and efficient processes, when there are a sufficient number of personnel, when personnel are trained to provide prompt attention, etc.
- Pleasant atmosphere: a pleasant atmosphere is a cozy environment where the client feels comfortable. It occurs, for example, when workers treat the customer with a kind and friendly treatment, when the business premises have a good decoration, adequate lighting, pleasant music, etc.
- Comfort : comfort refers to the comfort provided to the client when he visits the premises. It occurs, for example, when the premises have spaces large enough for the client to feel comfortable, comfortable chairs or armchairs, large tables, vehicular parking, a place where they can keep their belongings, etc.
- Security : security refers to the security that exists in the premises and, therefore, is given to the client when visiting it. This occurs, for example, when there are sufficient security personnel, when security zones are clearly marked, when escape routes are clearly marked, when medical kits are available, etc.
- Hygiene : hygiene refers to the cleaning or grooming that exists in the premises or in the workers. It occurs, for example, when the bathrooms of the premises are always clean, when there are no papers on the floor, when the workers are well groomed, with their uniform or impeccable clothing and trimmed nails, etc.
A company or business provides good customer service when it has worked on several of these factors; for example, when you treat your clients with kindness, give them a personalized service, serve them quickly, offer them a pleasant environment, and make them feel comfortable and safe.
The importance of customer service
When a customer finds the product they are looking for, and also receives good customer service, they are satisfied and that satisfaction makes them come back and buy from us, and that they will most likely recommend us to other consumers.
But on the other hand, if a customer has found the product they were looking for or not, they receive poor attention, not only will they stop visiting us, but they will most likely also speak ill of us and tell of the negative experience they had on average 9 to 20 people depending on their degree of outrage.
If we add to this the fact that the competition is ever greater and the products offered in the market are increasingly equated in quality and price, it is possible to affirm that today it is essential to provide good customer service if we want stay competitive in the market.
We must avoid that the client is poorly served, and so they stop visiting us or they may come to speak ill of us, and rather try to ensure that they receive good customer service, and thus achieve their loyalty, have good chances of recommending us with other consumers, and be able to differentiate ourselves or stand out from other competitors.
Good customer service must be present in all aspects of the business where there is some interaction with the customer, from the greeting of the security staff at the door of the premises, to the call answered by the secretary. For which it is necessary to permanently train and motivate staff to provide good customer service, not only to those workers who have frequent contact with the customer, but to all those who at some point may have it, from the person in charge of cleaning up to the general manager.
Also, good customer service should not only occur during the sales process, but also once it has been finalized.
After -sales service is a type of customer service that is provided once the sale has been completed.
After-sales services can be:
- Promotional : they are those that are related to sales promotion. They occur, for example, when special offers or discounts are offered to frequent customers, or when they are made to participate in contests or sweepstakes.
- Psychological : they are those that are linked to the motivation of the client. They are given, for example, when you receive gifts, letters or greeting cards for your birthday, or when you are called to ask how the product is going.
- Security : they are the ones that provide protection for the purchase of the product. They occur, for example, when guarantees are given to the customer for his purchase, or when there is a return policy for defective products.
- Maintenance : they are those that involve a maintenance service or technical support. They occur, for example, when the product installation service is provided, or when the training service on the use of the product is provided.
Providing a good after-sales service not only allows us to obtain the benefits of providing good customer service, such as the possibility of the client visiting us again or recommending us to other consumers, but also gives us the possibility of keep in touch and extend the relationship with the client and thus, for example, obtain their feedback or let them know of our new products or promotions that may be of interest to them