Cold salad : It is made from short pasta, known as macaroni or coditos. The elements that are added can be very versatile as it depends on the imagination of the cook and the economic availability, but it always has the characteristic of a pleasant sweet / salty contrast.
In Cuba it is usually prepared during birthday celebrations, fifteen parties, weddings or any other type of social and family gathering, the cold salad is an omnipresent character. Perhaps with a redundant name, since salads are almost always served cold, this dish is part of Cuban culture for its easy preparation and high calorie and protein content due to the presence of pasta and meat.
- 1 cup of coditos (pasta)
- 1 lb. ham (can be chicken)
- 3 eggs
- 1 big potato (or 2 little ones)
- 1 small onion (or half a large one)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 apple (optional)
- 1/3 cup pineapple
- A teaspoon of salt
- Put enough water with salt to heat.
- When it is boiling, add the elbows, the eggs and the potato, cut into small cubes until softened. Finely chop the onion and ham. Cut the apple and pineapple into small cubes.
- When the elbows, potatoes and eggs are cooked, drain the water, peel and chop the eggs into small flakes and combine it with the pineapple, apple, ham and onion.
- Add the mayonnaise and stir.
- Let cool in the refrigerator before eating.