Cannoli. It consists of a tube-shaped rolled dough that contains ingredients mixed with ricotta cheese inside . It is so popular in Sicily that patisserie where a tray of cannoli is not exposed is very rare
The inner dough is made with ricotta cheese (occasionally, and less traditional is the use of Mascarpone), often flavored with different combinations of vanilla, chocolate, pistachio , marsala , rose water or other flavorings. It is common to see how some ingredient is put on the ends.
[ hide ]
- 1 Story
- 2 Ingredients for the dough
- 3 filling ingredients
- 4 Procedure
- 5 Prepare the filling
- 6 Sources
Since ancient times, they have belonged to the typical carnival sweets of Italian cuisine . However, it is a popular belief in the region that like the Cassata both sweets are inherited from the permanence of the Arabs on the island. Today they are eaten throughout the year. Originally, the pasta was wrapped around a piece of cane (currently you buy the outer part already made, or it is rolled in metal molds that are already sold for this) and fried with it, then filled with the sweetened and flavored cottage cheese .
Ingredients for the dough
- 250 g loose flour, sifted
- 30 g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 whole egg
- 50 g lard
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- a pinch of salt
- A teaspoon of cocoa powder, without sugar
- 60 g Marsala
- 1 beaten egg yolk, to paint
- Sunflower oil, for frying
- Icing sugar for sprinkling
- 500 g of Ricotta cheese
- 125 g icing sugar
- 100 g candied fruit, candied … varied
- Bitter cocoa chips (cocoa Nibs)
- The first thing that we are going to do before making the dough is to put the ricotta in a strainer with a container underneath, so that all the liquid is drained. Cover with plastic wrap, and store in the refrigerator, this step can be done if you want, the day before.
- To prepare the dough, we can use a kitchen robot, or do it with our hands. I have used the robot, but it is indifferent, the result is the same.
- In the container we put all the ingredients together, except the Marsala. Mix slightly until you get a texture … like crushed cookies. Then we add the Marsala, and we will continue mixing until the mixture joins together. When we see that the dough separates from the walls of the container, and a kind of ball is formed, it is ready.
Prepare the filling
We already have the ricotta well drained, you will see that in the container that we have placed underneath, there is enough liquid, we discard it. We add the icing sugar to the ricotta , and with some rods, mix very well, until obtaining a smooth and homogeneous cream. Then we add the candied fruit, cut into small cubes. We also incorporate the bitter cocoa chips, and mix with a rubber spatula, so that it is evenly distributed throughout the cream.
We introduce the filling in a pastry bag, and cut off the tip. We fill the Cannoli siciliani , but only those that we are going to consume. We smooth the ends with a small metal spatula. We decorate with sour cherries , or candied orange slices…. It is important to know that the Cannoli siciliani must be filled at the right time to serve, so that the dough, which has been so crisp, does not soften, and is gummy due to the humidity of the cream.