The taste of kamarkha is both sweet and sour. Vitamins A and C are found in abundance in kamarkha. It is found in plenty of essential nutrients, antioxidants, fiber and vitamins. Kamarkha is used exclusively for making chutneys and pickles. Kamarkha is called star fruit or carambola in English.
Benefits of Kamarkha (Star Fruit) –
- Kamarkhara has very low calories and high fiber which helps in reducing weight.
- Kamarkha is one of the richest sources of antimicrobial agents that help treat eczema.
- Star fruit is used to treat sore eyes.
- Vitamin C present in it prevents infections such as colds and flu.
- The potassium found in kamarkha helps in controlling heart rate and blood pressure.
- Star fruit is a good source of B complex vitamins such as folate, riboflavin, and pyridoxine (vitamin B6).
- Decoction of leaves and roots of kamarkha can cure headaches, ringworm and smallpox.
- It is helpful in reducing cholesterol levels.
- Eating half a piece of star fruit at an interval of 3 hours provides relief from nausea and indigestion.
- The vitamins and amino acids present in it are good for hair and skin health.
- The oxalic acid found in kamarkha has been considered harmful to people suffering from kidney problems such as kidney stones, kidney failure or kidney dialysis.