Baumkuchen cake . Traditional German pastry cake made with a fluffy bread dough and a hollow cylindrical shape in the center.
[ hide ]
- 1 Story
- 2 Ingredients:
- 3 Preparation:
- 4 Sources
The exact point in history where the Baumkuchen is invented is certainly unknown, although the first written recipe comes from a cookbook dated to 1426 . In 1682 a country doctor working for Prince Johann Sigismund Elsholtz similarly made bread. Baumkuchen has been made in the city of Salzwedel in Saxony-Anhalt since the 19th century, being very traditional in the region.
The ingredients for a Baumkuchen dough include: butter , egg , sugar , vanilla , salt and flour . The inclusion of baking powder is not allowed. The ratio of flour , butter and egg should be 1: 1: 2 respectively, that is, 100 g of flour should contain 100 g of butter and 200 g of egg. Additions of honey and Alcohol (eg rum) are considered fragrancing ingredients; walnuts , marzipan and hazelnut are sometimes found . In any case, the base recipe should not change.
The elaboration is very simple: a toroidal mass is usually made and placed on rotary skewers exposed to fire. As the dough rotates, it is roasted and when it has the desired appearance, it frosts with fondant.
- 200 gr of butter.
- 200 gr of sugar.
- 4 eggs.
- 200 gr of flour.
- Beat the eggswith the sugar until they double in volume.
- The melted butteris incorporated carefully so that the preparation does not fall.
- The flouris sifted and it is added to the mixture with enveloping movements just as if you were making a normal cake.
- A mold is greased and a part of the preparation is added so that it covers the bottom with a layer a few millimeters thick.
- It is placed in the oven at 180ºC for about 5 minutes or until we see that this first layer is browned.
- Remove from the oven and add another layer of dough the same millimeters thick as the previous one, trying to make each layer more or less even.
- Bake again another 5 minutes.
- This process is repeated until all the dough is finished.
- Once the last layer is done and browned, it is removed from the oven and allowed to cool.
- Once cold, you can give it a chocolatebath and this will make the recipe seem even more authentic.