Zoysia . Species of grass, grass, grass or grass, of the Poaceae family, which grows forming a dense cover. It is used as an ornamental plant in meadows and gardens or as a ground for practicing various sports and recreational activities.
[ hide ]
- 1 Features
- 2 Crop requirements
- 1 Multiplication
- 3 Sources
- A species with a warm climate that can be used in Mediterranean areas due to its resistance, uniformity and tolerance to salinity.
- It was once considered the magic grass due to the number of advantages it offers and the almost zero disadvantages, but the fact of not producing adequate seeds for sowing made it relegated. Work is underway to produce more profitable seed varieties.
- It forms a fine and beautiful grass, walkable and resistant.
- Temperate zone grass that is installed slowly, but when it is installed using stolons, it is definitive.
- Height: does not exceed 10 cm.
- In winter it turns yellow and turns brown if the temperature is below -5 ° C, but it resists down to -12 ° C, greening in spring .
- Scientific or Latin name: Zoysia japónica
- Common or vulgar name: Zoysia, Zoisia.
- Very slow growth (less mowing). However, it is a great disadvantage to be able to reproduce vegetatively.
- Resistance to intense traffic.
- Disease resistance.
- Its powerful roots allow it to withstand lack of water well.
- It supports drought of several weeks, up to 1 month.
- It is the kind of warm climate that best supports shade.
- Resists salinity (but not extreme salinity).
- The first year you have to weed carefully.
- Rhizome cuttings. Currently using special techniques it can be harvested and treated to obtain viable seeds.
- It is also marketed in sods, to plant directly, or to make pieces with them and plant 10 pieces for each m2 in spring or summer .