Waldorf salad . It is a dish where all kinds of ingredients are mixed, sweet and savory: apple , nuts , celery , white cabbage , lettuce and mayonnaise . It can be served with raisins for a sweet touch or with Roquefort cheese to make it even more salty and tasty. This salad stands out for its freshness and great flavor, and for having lasted over time becoming classic recipes .
[ hide ]
- 1 History of the Waldorf salad
- 2 Modifications
- 3 Preparation mode
- 1 Ingredients for 4 people
- 2 Preparation
- 3 Tasting
- 4 Source
Waldorf salad history
The Waldorf salad owes its name to a New York hotel, the predecessor of the famed Waldorf-Astoria Hotel that was opened in 1931 . This salad is so named because it was invented at the Waldorf Astoria hotel in New York in 1896 and immediately became one of the most popular dishes in his restaurant. Its creator Oscar Tschirsky was the hotel maitre d ‘ . Waldorf salad has green or red apples, diced or sliced, celery diced, and chopped nuts. You can also add raisinsblondes Three years after it was first served, the salad was featured in the cookbook “The Cook Book by ‘Oscar of the Waldorf'” in 1896 . The new salad soon became a typical jet set dish and its name began a long pilgrimage around the world .
The salad is a very simple recipe, it only has three original ingredients: mayonnaise , celery ( celery ) and apple . That original recipe quickly underwent the first modification by accepting that nuts be added . Over the years, it began to accept other accompaniments such as lettuce , raisins , pine nuts , cooked chicken and even a version of mayonnaise flavored with mustard. .
To prepare it, an important step is to spray the apples with lemon juice to prevent them from rusting. Then everything is mixed and homemade mayonnaise is added , this in the original version. To make it lighter, you can add plain yogurt or replace the mayonnaise with yogurt . And so that it is fresh it can be left in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving. Garnish with parsley or chopped coriander .
Ingredients for 4 people
- 2 golden apples
- 200 g celery
- 50 g of blue cheese or similar
- A handful of raw almonds
- A handful of raisins
- Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- The apples are peeled, cored and cut into small squares. Lemon juice is poured so they don’t get dark.
- The white part of the celery is chopped finely chopped and added.
- The cheese is broken into small pieces is divided and everything is removed.
- About four tablespoons of mayonnaise are mixed with two teaspoons of mustard to make the sauce and mix well in a bowl.
- It is rectified with salt and pepper .
- Finally, the almonds are mashed in a mortar and the almonds and raisins are poured over the salad as decoration .
Waldorf Salad, a classic of North American cuisine, is ideal when you fancy a light, fresh and easy-to-work salad. You can have it stored in an airtight container, and add the lettuce just at the time of serving.