Orange flan. Simple and very easy dessert to prepare at home. Its preparation is very similar to the classic egg custard but adding the oranges , which give a lot of play in the kitchen.
This is a recipe with few ingredients that everyone has at home: oranges (for juice or dessert), eggs , milk and sugar , all easy so you don’t have to break your head thinking about where you are going to buy them.
There is no doubt that it will become one of your favorite sweets and even the base for similar desserts. A luxury available to anyone with an exquisite texture and flavor, very simple to prepare and very nutritious.
And remember that by incorporating orange juice we soften the flavor of the egg, which for some palates is not very pleasant. The orange combines very well in a flan but you can also try other citrus fruits such as mandarins or clementines. It is sure to become a reference dessert in your kitchen.
[ hide ]
- 1 Ingredients
- 2 Preparation of caramel
- 3 Preparation of infused milk for flan
- 4 Preparation of the Orange Flan. Baking and final presentation
- 5 Sources
- For the caramel: 5 tablespoons of white granulated sugar, a little water (3 tablespoons) and a few drops of squeezed lemon.
- 3 whole eggs(XL) and 6 egg yolks (that is 9 eggs, of which 6 only carry the yolk)
- 200 g. of sugar(2 teaspoons dessert pudding)
- 500 ml of whole milk
- 2 oranges: one of them we will grate and the other we need its skin.
- 200 ml of orange juice(we can take advantage of the 2 oranges above)
- 1 vanilla beanand tablespoon of orange blossom essence.
Preparation of caramel
1.We put a saucepan or a pan on the fire at medium temperature so that it reaches temperature. Add the ingredients in the following order: 5 tablespoons of white granulated sugar , a little water (3 tablespoons) and a few drops of lemon .
2.We leave over medium heat without stirring (at first we should not move the sugar with a wooden spoon because it will weigh down) and we will see how little by little small bubbles begin to form and the sugar changes color.
3.When this happens we stir, now yes, with a wooden spoon and help to mix everything.
4.Remove from the heat and continue stirring until it reaches that toasted honey color of the caramel and add a few drops of lemon juice . These will brighten and prevent it from crystallizing quickly.
5.We let it warm for a minute and caramelize the container walls of the flannels or where we are going to prepare the flan.
6.Pour the caramel into the bottom first and gradually turn or tilt the walls of the molds until everything is impregnated with caramel. Let the caramel cool until it is medium hard.
Preparation of infused milk for flan
1.First we will prepare the ingredients with which we are going to flavor the milk .
2.We wash the oranges very well and peel the skin of one of them finely, without much white that then makes the flan bitter. We open the vanilla bean and remove the seeds that we will reserve to add later to the milk .
- Heat the milk over medium heat almost to the boiling point. We lower the temperature and remove from the heat, add the vanillaseeds and the skin of the orange. We leave everything to rest for 5 minutes (infusing the milk). Strain to remove the peel and vanilla remains.
- Grate one of the oranges (it must be a very fine grated, we do not want to find half an orange in the flan. If you do not have a good grater, do not add it. We also squeeze the oranges until the juice is obtained and reserve everything.
5.Separate the yolk from the white of 6 eggs , the whites can be used for other recipes, do not throw them away. To these yolks we add three large whole eggs, we add the sugar, the orange zest, the orange juice, the tablespoon of orange blossom essence and the infused milk.
6.We beat everything until there is a creamy dough and with a little foam. We reserve.
Preparation of the Orange Flan. Baking and final presentation
1.Fill the central tray of the oven with water. We raise the temperature of the oven to 200º C until the water begins to boil.
2.We put the orange custard cream in small flan molds or in a large individual flan.
3.We cover them with aluminum foil. We put them in the oven with the water for 50-60 minutes at approximately 190º C, until the flan are curdled and golden.
4.The oven will not stain anything at all but be careful not to burn yourself with the water in the tray.