Marshmallow is a candy which in its modern form consists of sugar or syrup from corn , beaten egg, gelatin previously softened with water , acacia and flavoring, all beaten to achieve a consistency fluffy. It can be made in many ways.
[ hide ]
- 1 Origin
- 2 Ingredients
- 3 Preparation mode
- 4 Nutritional value
- 5 Sources
Marshmallows were invented in the 19th century to cure sore throats. Marshmallows are very popular in the Anglo-Saxon world and are taken with or without accompaniment. In the United States, it is common to take them roasted or roasted, and also in other places they are taken with chocolate or mocha coffee, as part of other sweets, covering roasted sweet potatoes, in some flavors of ice cream, etc.
- 50 grams of corn flour
- 50 grams of icing sugar
- 50 grams of liquid glucose syrup, (get it from the supermarket or from a chemist)
- 450 grams of powdered sugar
- 10 sheets of jelly
- 2 large free-range egg whites
- 2 vanilla beans
- 1½ teaspoons natural food coloring, optional
- Mix the cornmeal and icing sugar in a bowl. Finely strain half of the mixture onto a deep cookie sheet, and reserve the other half for later.
- Mix the liquid glucose syrup and sugar in a frying pan over low heat with 250 ml of cold water. Heat gently, stirring until all the sugar has dissolved and you have a clear syrup. Meanwhile, soak the gelatin sheets in a small saucepan with 125 ml of water.
- Once the sugar syrup is clear, turn up the heat, introduce a sugar thermometer and let the syrup boil vigorously (do not shake it). When it reaches 110 ° C, place the gelatin skillet over medium heat and stir until dissolved.
- Beat the egg whites until you have stiff peaks. Once the syrup has reached 122 ° C, carefully and slowly pour it down the sides of the bowl of the moving mixer, then pour in the dissolved gelatin.
- Cut the vanilla pods in half and remove the seeds, add the seeds to the mixer bowl, then continue beating for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the mixture has significantly increased in volume. (You can add any flavor or any natural coloring). Choose natural vanilla or any other flavor, pour the mixture into the tray and then sprinkle the remaining cornmeal and icing sugar and leave in a cool place for 2 to 3 hours.
We can also choose the flavor that we like the most by adding rose water, orange blossom water, natural lemon extract, natural orange extract or natural mint extract.
The traditional marshmallow recipe uses marshmallow root powder (which can be difficult to obtain). But most industrially-produced marshmallows use gelatin, which vegetarians and vegans avoid, as these are sourced from animal skins and bones. An alternative for vegetarians is to use substitute non-meat gelling agents such as agar for gelatin.
100 grams of Cookies, marshmallow , chocolate covered (includes marshmallow tarts) have 421 calories , the 21% of your total daily calorie needs. 100 grams of Cookies, marshmallow, chocolate chip (includes marshmallow tarts) contain the 23% of your total daily needs: 67.7 grams of carbohydrates .