Causes, Consequences and Solutions to Light Pollution
Another type of environmental pollution that is overlooked and that is no less important than that of air, water, soil, acoustic, visual and other biodiversity.
It is that caused by artificial light and that generates amounts of consequences on every living being.
Therefore, we will make known what light pollution is. Together with its main causes, consequences and solutions to combat this socio-environmental problem that weakens the quality of human life.
What is light pollution
It is that type of alteration that occurs at night, with artificial light or by the emission of luminous flux, which impacts on the natural environment.
It decreases the visibility of the heavenly elements at night, in living beings and in human health.
What are the Causes of Light Pollution?
Among the main factors that cause this contamination are:
- The first human being.
- Lack of knowledge, sensitivity and environmental awareness.
- About lighting
- Vehicle traffic
- Poor lighting quality.
- Use of projectors.
- Posters and billboards.
- Lack of an efficient system of on and off.
- Lack of laws and regulations.
What are the consequences of light pollution?
Among the main effects that derive from this contamination are: the waste of energy and money, ecological imbalances, effects on the biological clock and the increase in CO2. Besides the alteration of the diversity of species, the impact on the trophic chains and the destruction of certain polluting particles of the environment. Also insomnia, fatigue, damage to ecosystems, traffic accidents, greenhouse gas emissions and problems with air and sea traffic. Also problems in astronomy, lack of control in the growth of trees, air pollution and more waste. Even the intensification of the phenomenon of climate change and global warming, the inadequate visibility of celestial bodies, among other effects on social life.
( Also read: All about Soil Pollution )
What are the Light Pollution Solutions?
Among the main measures to combat and prevent this type of contamination are:
- Education of the population about such environmental pollution.
- Prevent this problem with a correct level of lighting.
- Improve the quality of ambient lighting.
- Implement energy efficiency lamps.
- Avoid the emission of direct light into the atmosphere.
- Apply shielded luminaires.
- Illuminate areas that really are a priority.
- Regulate advertising lighting.
- Ban light projectors to the sky.
- Turn off lights that are not necessary.
- Motion sensors
- Not about passing the horizontal light.
- Join the annual campaign called Earth Hour
- Promote this article, to multiply knowledge and raise awareness about it.
- Among other measures, to reduce and regulate the excessive use of energy.
In conclusion, light pollution is an alteration of the environment during the night, due to the excess of artificial light going in directions without any sense.
Among the main types of light pollution stands out; diffusion of artificial light projected to the sky, invasive light, glare and homogeneous lighting.
Some examples of light pollution are street lanterns, canyons, projectors and advertisements.
It also results in the alteration of the night sky and its adequate visibility, ecosystems, vegetation, animals and the life of human beings.
Light pollution; intensity of artificial night light at unnecessary times and that affects the efficient use of natural resources