Jackfruit is the name of a ” mammoth’.it is a medium-sized tree (it reaches 8-25 meters in height) belonging to the Moraceaee family, the same as the figs , the mulberry and the bread tree (the latter also shares the same genus).
Its nutritional values are calories and jackfruit
Contains 95 kcal every 100 grams:
- Fats 0.6 grams
- Cholesterol 0 mgrammi
- Sodium 2 mg
- Potassium 448 mg
- Carbohydrates 23 g
- Sugars 19 g
- Fibers 1,5 g
- Proteins 1.7 g
PROPERTY OF JACKFRUIT
- Jackfruit is counted among the “super foods” because it contains a huge amount of important antioxidants to prevent damage caused by free radicals.
- It also contains flavonoids and carotenoids (which protect eyesight), vitamin C (100gr of fruit contain a quarter of the recommended daily dose) and vitamin B6 and B1, very important for the immune system.
- Among the minerals present in greater quantities there is potassium (important for blood pressure), calcium, magnesium and phosphorus. The Giaco also contains a lot of dietary fiber, which cleans the colon and helps protect it from certain forms of cancer.
- It is also a gluten-free food, therefore suitable for consumption by gluten intolerant and allergic sufferers.
TASTE AND HOW TO COOK IT
The jackfruit has a pleasant and aromatic smell that reminds a little of that of pineapple and vanilla. The flavor is neutral and absorbs very well the flavors with which it is accompanied. It is therefore suitable to be cooked and flavored with many spices and vegetables just like Tofu.
Curry Jackfruit Thai
With this recipe, those who will taste it will hardly be able to say they are eating fruit and you will also be amazed! My advice is to boil the Giaco before starting with the preparation of the recipe, in order to shorten the preparation times.
Ingredients (for about 6 people):
- 2 packs of jackfruit
- 1 diced onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 diced tomatoes to taste
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- powdered ginger to taste
- 1 can of unsweetened coconut milk (or vegetable broth)
- salt, pepper and chilli to taste
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1. Start by heating the oil in a pan and then add the onion, garlic, tomatoes, turmeric and ginger. Leave to cook on a high flame for a few minutes, stirring constantly. Then add the jackfruit and let it brown for a few minutes.
2. Pour the coconut milk, lower the heat and cook with a lid until the fruit is soft. If necessary add a little water.
3. Add salt, pepper and chilli pepper and finish cooking. You can accompany it with white rice and vegetables or use it to stuff wraps, wraps and sandwiches.