Instagram recently announced its plans to allow users to use WhatsApp as a two-factor authentication method to log into the platform. In this article, you will learn how to get Instagram login codes on WhatsApp. If that’s something you’re interested in, go ahead and find out how to use WhatsApp for two-factor authentication (2FA) on Instagram.
Use WhatsApp for two-factor authentication on Instagram
Before we begin, it is worth mentioning that the 2FA feature of WhatsApp-Instagram is gradually being rolled out. Therefore, you may not see the feature right away on your Instagram account. With that said, we’ve also added an alternate way to set up Instagram two-factor authentication using an auth app.
Steps to get Instagram login codes on WhatsApp
In this section, we will demonstrate the complete process to link your WhatsApp account with your Instagram account to receive 2FA codes in the messaging app in the future. The steps will remain the same on Android and iOS. We are using an Android device for this tutorial. With that said, take a look at the steps below:
- Go to your Instagram profile and touch the horizontal three-dot menu in the upper right corner. Then, tap ” Settings” to access Instagram settings.
- From the list of options that appear, choose “Security” and tap “Two-Factor Authentication”on the next screen.
- If you have never set up 2FA for Instagram before, you will see a banner explaining features. After that, tap on “Get Started” and activate the “WhatsApp” toggleunder the “Choose your security method” heading. This will start the process of setting up WhatsApp as your Instagram two-factor authentication method.
- Now you should add your WhatsApp phone numberand tap “Next”. Shortly after, you will receive a 6-digit code from the official Instagram business account on WhatsApp. Enter the code and hit “Next” to confirm WhatsApp as your Instagram 2FA method. In the future, Instagram will send login codes to your WhatsApp account when you log in.
- In case you were wondering, this is what the WhatsApp message from Instagram would look like.
Note : Do not share any personal information if you receive WhatsApp messages claiming to be someone from Instagram.
Other ways to enable two-factor authentication on Instagram
If you no longer use WhatsApp, you can also use two other ways to set up 2FA for your Instagram account. You can use a two-factor authentication app or use your phone number to receive verification codes like SMS. I would recommend using a 2FA app like Authy (Free | Android, iOS) or LastPass Authenticator (Free | Android, iOS) as they are more secure than a traditional SMS authentication system.
- Go to Instagram Settings and go to Security-> Two-Factor Authenticationand enable the “ Authentication App (Recommended)” toggle. Then, tap “Next” to open the authentication app of your choice and link it to Instagram. If you haven’t used a 2FA app in the past, I would recommend using Authy.
- Once you link the 2FA app to Instagram, you will see a 6-digit login code. Copy the code from the authentication app and paste it on Instagram to confirm the new authentication method. You can now use codes from your 2FA app to log into your Instagram account.
Link WhatsApp with Instagram for two-factor authentication (2FA)
So, this is how you can use your WhatsApp account as a two-factor authentication method for Instagram. This method could help reduce clutter in your SMS inbox and make the 2FA authentication process more secure. The latter is especially true as you can lock your WhatsApp with Face ID or fingerprint. While you’re at it, you should also check out our article to enable two-factor authentication on Facebook and Twitter. For more such tips, check out our article on the best Instagram tips and tricks.