There is nothing you can do about it, in recent times you have become so passionate about the Tekken video game that you have decided to go all the way and learn all its secrets. On the other hand, it takes a lot of dedication to get to know a saga of such great success and amaze your friends by beating them in exciting multiplayer battles. With this idea in mind, you have decided to learn how to unlock the characters of Tekken , but unfortunately you have to recognize that you are not yet very expert on the subject and that you do not know which and how many these characters are.
Don’t worry, if your desire is to unlock Tekken characters, all you need is a dedicated guide. The good news is that if you are reading these lines, then you have found it! On this page I have collected a series of fundamental information to unlock the characters in your favorite Tekken. Starting with Tekken 7, it will be my pleasure to show you the steps to unlock the characters, including the hidden ones, in all the main chapters of the saga.
How about taking just a few minutes of your free time and dedicating yourself to unlocking all the characters in your favorite Tekken? You will see that, once done, in addition to the satisfaction, you will have even more fun in future gaming sessions. Do you agree? No more chatter then, let the fight to unlock the most original characters of the legendary King of Iron First Tournament begin!
- Preliminary information
- How to unlock Tekken 7 characters
- How to unlock Tekken 6 characters
- How to unlock Tekken 5 characters
- How to unlock Tekken 4 characters
- How to unlock Tekken 3 characters
- How to unlock Tekken Tag Tournament 2 characters
Can’t wait to get involved and unlock Tekken characters ? Great purpose, it is in fact the only way to become an expert in the game, learning about and using the complete park of wrestlers. Before proceeding, however, I think it is better to clarify the difference between the unlockable characters and the alternative clothes , also I warn you that the number of fighters to unlock has been decreasing over time.
Regarding the unlockable and hidden characters, you must know that both types of unlockable content are included in the Tekken series, sometimes in fact there are real secret characters . These fighters are “hidden” behind another character’s icon, unlike those characters that unlock and become selectable (and therefore visible) in the fighter’s choice menu.
There is a fundamental difference between a character with his dedicated icon and a hidden character, that is the fighting style, in more technical words, the moveset. Hidden characters, being selectable by pressing a key or a combination of keys while in the character choice menu in correspondence with an already unlocked fighter, fully share his fighting style. That is why, these kinds of characters are often compared to an “alternative dress”. Would you like to understand better with a practical example? No problem, in the course of this guide it will be my concern to warn you when a fighter is hidden and selectable as an alternate costume.
How to unlock Tekken 7 characters
First of all, I would like to tell you that the unlockable characters of Tekken 7 can be counted using the fingers of one hand. Unlike the previous chapters, the choice of the developers was to make almost the entire roster of fighters available immediately, so that all players could immediately specialize with their favorite fighters and better prepare for online multiplayer challenges. .
Furthermore, several additional characters can be used exclusively through the purchase of downloadable content (DLC) , or season pass . If you want to buy them but have no idea how to do it, you can find out how to buy digital content on PlayStation by following this guide of mine , or this one on how to buy content on Xbox Live if you play on Xbox platforms.
Nonetheless, there are some alternate characters that you can unlock. Some of them are considered “transformations” of others. Basically an unlockable extra character in Tekken 7 is called Eliza . This vampire queen, however, remains the prerogative of the first buyers of Tekken 7, as it was unlockable for free only through DLC delivered at the launch. Although the developers had announced that the purchase would only be possible within 30 days from the launch of Tekken 7 on the market, today it is still possible to buy Eliza from the PlayStation Store, Xbox Live and Steam .
Excluding this first character (whose unlocking is bound today to the purchase of the relative DLC), a special mention deserves the character Devil Kazuya , a transformation of the character Kazuya. To use Kazuya in his true demonic form it is not possible to simply select him, but instead choose Kazuya and bring his Rage Art bar to the maximum.
Once you have reached this state (recognizable by the character’s life bar flashing in red), press the fist key combination , more specifically press the R1 key on Sony consoles and the RB key on Xbox platforms.
Moving on to the next fighter, here’s how to unlock Violet . In nearly every Tekken, since its first appearance, Violet and fighter Lee Chaolan are selectable as per the choice of an alternate costume. Also in Tekken 7 Violet is selectable from the character choice screen, positioning yourself over the wrestler Lee but choosing the second player’s costume .
This at the time of writing is all you need to know about the unlockable characters of Tekken 7. In fact, all the other characters, such as Noctis from Final Fantasy XV , can only be unlocked, as I told you, through the purchase of DLC and season pass. . For the sake of completeness, here are which are (at the time of writing) that can be purchased: Craig Marduk , Fahkumram , Negan , GanryuArmor King , Lei Wulong , Noctis , Eliza , Geese Howard , Leroy Smith , Anna Williams , Julia Chang andZafina .
How to unlock Tekken 6 characters
If you are looking for how to unlock Tekken 6 characters , then you may be disappointed that in this chapter the fighters are all available right from the start.
This is a deliberate choice of Namco (game developer), as he preferred not to include unlockable characters and immediately allow all players to try and specialize in the use of one or more fighters.
A choice that goes hand in hand with the desire to orient the title more towards its competitive multiplayer mode, online included. If you are a single player, then take the positive side of this absence: with all the fighters available, you can immediately dedicate yourself to discovering the other unlockable extras!
How to unlock Tekken 5 characters
Would you like to know how to unlock Tekken 5 characters ? Well, the fifth installment of the Tekken series, originally released on PlayStation 2 , has added charismatic new fighters to its much-loved roster. Among them, the unlockable (or hidden) ones are the following.
- Roger Jr. – available after completing Story Mode once.
- Anna Williams– available after beating Story Mode twice.
- Baek– available after beating Story Mode three times.
- Bruce Irvin– Available after beating Story Mode four times.
- Wang Jinrei– Available after beating Story Mode five times using different characters.
- Kuma– available after beating Story Mode six times using different characters.
- Ganryu– available after beating Story Mode seven times using different characters.
- Mokujin– available after completing Story Mode eight times using different characters.
- Heihachi– Available after beating Story Mode nine times using different characters.
- Devil Jin– Available after playing 200 matches and then unlocking and completing Devil Within mode.
- Eddy– available by selecting Christie as an alternative costume to purchase.
How to unlock Tekken 4 characters
First Tekken to be released on Sony’s most successful platform, the PlayStation 2. A title on which fans of the series have placed high hopes as a direct follow-up to the enormous success of Tekken 3. If you want to try your hand at the enterprise, here is how to unlock Tekken 4 characters .
- Nina Williams– Available after beating Story Mode three times.
- Jin Kazama– available after completing Story Mode once.
- Lee / Violet– available after beating Story Mode twice. To choose Violet select Lee by pressing the circle key
- Lei Wulong– available after beating Story Mode four times.
- Brian Fury– available after beating Story Mode five times.
- Julia Chang– available after beating Story Mode six times.
- Kuma– available after beating Story Mode seven times.
- Combot– available after beating Story Mode nine times.
- Eddy– available after completing Story Mode with Christie. To select it, press the triangle button by hovering over the Christie icon.
- Miharu– available after completing Story mode with Xiaoyu To select it, press the Triangle key while hovering over the Xiaoyu icon.
- Heihachi Mishima– available after beating Story Mode eight times.
- Panda– in the character selection screen, go to Kuma and press the triangle or circle button.
How to unlock Tekken 3 characters
Tekken 3 , keystone of the series, backbone of the fighting game genre and pinnacle of reference in expressing judgments and opinions on fighting video games (especially those in three dimensions). It doesn’t surprise me then if, even years after its release on the first PlayStation, you are looking for advice on how to unlock the characters of Tekken 3 .
- Heihachi– available after completing Arcade mode with seven characters.
- Kuma– available after completing Arcade mode once.
- Mokujin– available after completing Arcade mode with four characters.
- Anna Williams– available after completing Arcade mode with five characters.
- Panda– after unlocking Kuma, select him with the circle or X button.
- Julia Chang– available after completing Arcade mode with two characters.
- Gun Jack– available after completing Arcade mode with three characters.
- Bryan Fury– available after completing Arcade mode with six characters.
- Ogre– available after completing Arcade mode with eight characters.
- True Ogre– available after completing Arcade mode with nine characters.
- Tiger– available after completing Arcade mode with 16 characters. To select it, press the triangle button on Eddy.
As if these weren’t enough already, there are still two more unlockable ones: Gon and Dr. Bosconovitch .
The first can be unlocked by beating him in Tekken Ball mode , which is also available after finishing the Arcade with 10 characters. Alternatively, you can also unlock Gon by placing first in the Survival or Time Attack mode leaderboard and typing “GON” as the name to rank. Finally, Gon is unlockable even if he is beaten in random encounters in Arcade mode.
For the second, however, you must complete the Tekken Force mode with any character four times, so as to unlock all three keys, then the fourth time it becomes possible to fight and defeat Dr. Bosconovitch. If beaten, the Doctor becomes selectable.
How to unlock Tekken Tag Tournament 2 characters
Although Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is not a canonical chapter of the series (in other words, not directly connected with the main saga) it has remained for all the years that separated the release of Tekken 6 from that of Tekken 7, the chapter on which players have honed their skills more.
It should be noted, however, that the roster of characters is quite rich from the beginning. In fact, the extra characters were released via free DLC. If you’re wondering who they are, well four are Michelle Chang , Angel , Ancient Ogre and Kunimitsu , first released as extras with game pre-order, while the other six are Unknown , Miharu Hirano , Sebastian , Slim Bob , Dr. Bosconovitch and Violet .
Ultimately, if you can really talk about how to unlock the characters of Tekken Tag Tournament 2 , then to be exact it should be said that only Super Combot DX can be considered as such. To use it in offline and unranked online modes, you need to complete the Fight Lab mode . Well, one is still better than none, right? I just have to wish you a good fight and lots of fun!