What are you doing with old iPhones ? Someone, of course, finds application even for frankly worn devices, either passing them on by inheritance, then adapting them as a bedside alarm clock, IP camera or video recorder. However, most people still sell their iPhones on the secondary market . After all, on the one hand, this is a very responsible approach, and, secondly, it is quite profitable, because thanks to it, the seller has money that can be used to buy a new model. But does everyone know how to properly prepare an iPhone for sale ?
Always reset your iPhone before selling it. But not everyone knows how to do it right
It makes sense that you need to sell a clean iPhone . Because in this way, firstly, you will keep your confidential data with you, and, secondly, you will provide the buyer with a fresh device, which he can activate on his own and fill with his information. But first you need to save somewhere that is deleted for your own needs. So we need a backup function.
- 1How to back up your iPhone
- 2How to backup iPhone via iTunes
- 3How to reset iPhone to factory settings with buttons
- 4How to erase an iPhone if the screen doesn’t work
- 5Reset iPhone Without Passcode
- 6Things to Know Before Selling an iPhone
How to back up your iPhone
The easiest way to back up your iPhone is with iCloud . Moreover, now Apple provides unlimited space for temporary use in the cloud if you buy a new iPhone. You can read about how to get it in a separate article . In the same, we will analyze the classic way of creating a backup, when there is enough space in iCloud for all the data:
- Go to “Settings” on your iPhone;
- At the very top, open your profile page;
- In the window that opens, select the iCloud item;
By default, backups are saved to iCloud
- Open the “iCloud Backup” tab;
- Click the “Create a backup” button;
- Wait for it to be saved, following the progress bar.
How to backup iPhone via iTunes
The second method is good because, firstly, it does not imply a connection to the Internet at all, which means that it is suitable for those who have run out of traffic or do not have free Wi-Fi, and, secondly, it has no restrictions on the amount of stored data. That is, if you cannot use unlimited storage in iCloud, this method is definitely for you.
- Connect iPhone to computer via cable;
- Launch iTunes or Finder on your computer;
Backups of any size are stored on the computer
- Wait for the initialization to complete, and then select “Synchronization”;
- Wait for the data to be saved and disconnect iPhone from the computer.
How to reset iPhone to factory settings with buttons
After the backup is saved, you can proceed to reset iPhone data . The easiest way is to do it using the standard iOS tools.
- Go to “Settings” and select “General”;
- Scroll down and open “Transfer or Reset iPhone”;
- Here select the option “Erase content and settings”;
The easiest way to reset iPhone is through settings
- At the bottom of the screen, click the blue Continue button;
- Enter the unlock password and confirm to reset all data.
Before erasing your iPhone, you will see a list of all the data that will be deleted: apps and their data, Apple ID, Activation Lock, Wallet cards, and cellular plan (if eSIM is configured). Despite the fact that this data is permanently deleted from the smartphone, if you have a backup copy saved in advance, you can return everything to its original state.
How to erase an iPhone if the screen doesn’t work
Similarly, you can reset your iPhone using iTunes . This method is suitable if the smartphone has technical damage. For example, the screen stopped responding to touches or simply crashed, but the device itself remains operational.
- Connect iPhone to computer via Lightning;
- Launch iTunes or Finder on your computer;
You can reset iPhone even if its screen is damaged
- In the window that opens, select “Restore iPhone”;
- Confirm the reset procedure and wait for the procedure to complete.
After that, you will receive a clean iPhone without the slightest signs of exploitation. All you have to do is log out of your Apple ID account and transfer the device to the new owner.
Reset iPhone Without Passcode
But it’s not always possible to just go and log out of Apple ID , let alone reset a locked iPhone . So, you need to use workarounds.
- Download the PassFab iPhone Unlockerutility to your computer ;
- Connect iPhone to computer using Lightning cable;
iPhone can be reset even if you forgot your passcode
- In the PassFab iPhone Unlocker interface, select “Unlock”;
Resetting your password removes all data from your iPhone.
- Check the box next to the user agreement and click “Start”;
The iPhone must be put into recovery mode.
- Enter iPhone into DFU mode using the buttons on the smartphone or automatically;
Download the latest firmware and then confirm the reset
- In the next step, download the latest version of iOS (prerequisite);
- Confirm the procedure for resetting iPhone to factory settings.
PassFab iPhone Unlocker
This procedure will not only reset your iPhone lock password , but will also delete all data from your smartphone. This is very convenient, because in this state it will be more convenient for you to sell it. However, keep in mind that the smartphone will remain linked to the Apple ID. So you have to log out of your account, which will prevent unauthorized sale of the stolen iPhone . The only drawback is that without a lock password, you will not be able to back up and restore your data in advance.
Things to Know Before Selling an iPhone
You can sell your iPhone or hand it over to trade-in, but you need to prepare it for this in the same way.
How to transfer data from iPhone to iPhone? This can be done using iCloud cloud storage, which allows you to save a backup from one iPhone and then restore it to another. It doesn’t matter what tariff you have connected. When buying a new device, Apple offers a temporary unlimited backup.
Why reset iPhone before selling? This is necessary in order to clear all the data that you store in the memory of your smartphone: personal photos, calls, message history, bank card data and much, much more that is of at least some value. In addition, the new owner will clearly be more pleased to receive a clean smartphone, rather than cleaning it himself.
How to reset iPhone without password? You can also reset a locked iPhone, for example, if you’ve forgotten your passcode. Utility PassFab iPhone Unlocker allows you to reset your password and to roll back the Apple smartphone to factory settings. However, keep in mind that this action does not unlink the iPhone from the Apple ID account due to the activation lock action.
What is iPhone Activation Lock? This is a special mechanism for linking an iPhone to an Apple ID account. If you do not have an authorization password, the smartphone will remain tied to it even after a complete reset. Therefore, you will have to either sign out of your account or reset it.