Lentils are perhaps one of the most traditional dishes in Spain. It is cooked in all communities and although many consider it a winter dish, or for the cold , the truth is that they are so traditional in Spain that we can eat them at any time regardless of whether it is hot or not once we have finished a good plate of this delicacy.
For a long time, lentils, as well as legumes in general, have been considered foods high in calories, as was the case with nuts. However, now we know, thanks to new scientific contributions, that they are essential foods in any diet. So, that thing about lentils being fattening is just a myth .
For starters, lentils with vegetables have no fat content, so they are not fattening unless you add chorizo, lining, ribs or another fatty food. In addition, they contain a lot of fiber and are very satiating . Discover a delicious lentil recipe with hardly any calories!
Properties of lentils
Before moving on to the recipe, we want to mention the benefits that legumes give us , so we will disprove a little more the legend that lentils are fattening. In addition to the above, they are a great source of carbohydrates and provide us with energy for a long time.
Also, and best of all to deny that legumes are fattening, is that a bowl of cooked lentils, for example, has a contribution of 250 calories . This means that we can eat a good bowl of lentils even following a weight loss diet. But be careful, as we have said, legumes themselves do not make you fat, but the ingredients with which you cook them could.
Most adults tend to like lentils, but little ones do not. But you should know that, in addition to being rich, they have endless properties , so we should take them once a week at least. Among these properties, we can highlight that:
- Protect our cardiovascular health
- Prevents and improves anemia
- Regulates blood sugar levels
- They contain folic acid, very suitable in pregnancy as it helps prevent certain deformations in the placenta as well as anencephaly or spina bifida problems in the fetus.
- They facilitate intestinal transit.
- They provide abundant vitamins and minerals.
As if this were not enough, not only are lentils not fattening, but they are a very versatile food and can be prepared in many different ways. You can make the typical traditional recipe for lentils with vegetables, or make more exotic dishes using different types of lentils. The possibilities are numerous, but we want to show you the classic stew in a light version so as not to gain weight.
How to make some lentils with vegetables
As we said, and now that we have denied the rumor that legumes are fattening, lentils are a tasty dish, but, depending on how they are cooked, they can provide many calories. We know that very high-calorie ingredients are usually added to the traditional recipe, such as chorizo, blood sausage, ham …, making a healthy dish a high fat intake.
Here’s how to make lentils with low-calorie vegetables to enjoy all their benefits, even if you’re on a diet. Take note!
Time: 2 hours
Ingredients for 4 people:
- 2 potatoes
- 350 g of lentils
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 onion
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- To start with this recipe for lentils with low-calorie vegetables, clean them, although you do not need to soak them. Then peel and cut the potatoes, onion, garlic cloves, and carrots into chunks.
- Then, in a separate pot, put the lentils and pour a little water to cover them. When you have the vegetables ready, add them to the same pot and add a drizzle of olive oil and the bay leaf.
- Next, bring the pot to boil for an houror, if you have a pressure cooker, the cooking time will be between 15 and 30 minutes, depending on the kind of lentils and the model of the pot.
- After the estimated time according to the previous characteristics, turn off the heat and let them rest for about five minutes so that they take on consistency and an exquisite texture on the palate. Finally, remember that by following this recipe for lentils with vegetables you will be consuming only about 375 calories per dish. However, the benefits are remarkable.
If you follow a weight loss diet, you must consider that calories are necessary to maintain a healthy life. However, an excessive intake can make us gain some weight and accumulate fat. As with any food, it is better to consume it in moderation, they also cause flatulence and could cause stomach pain if you abuse legumes.
Are lentils fattening? No, but they have contraindications
Before telling you in which cases the consumption of lentils is contraindicated, we want to show you its nutritional properties . They are as follows:
- They contain high levels of molybdenum (148 mcg).
- They provide large amounts of iron, manganese, copper, potassium, zinc and phosphorus and, to a lesser extent, calcium and selenium.
- They provide about 90% of the recommended daily amount of folic acid.
- They provide us with vitamins A, C, E, B12, K, B1, B2, B5, B3, B6 and choline.
And finally, despite the fact that it is false that legumes are fattening, lentils are contraindicated in these cases:
- Due to their purine content, they can be harmful if you suffer from goutor kidney stones.
- Since they can be a bit indigestible, we recommend soaking them before cooking and chewing them slowly.
- Some people may be allergic to certain legumes and, for those intolerant to gluten, they can be processed in factories that handle gluten.
- It is also not recommended for those with Chron’s disease, irritable bowel or colitis due to its high fiber content.
- Those who have to reduce potassium in their diet, suffer from kidney failure or other kidney diseases, should not consume them.