Things to know before changing iPhone app icons:
- Make sure you have the images you want in the Photos or Files app.
You can use images that your iPhone clicked on, downloaded from the web, icon packs purchased from sites like Icons8 , and so on.
- Customized app icons will not display notification icons.
- The process is simple, but it will take time to customize dozens of app icons.
Using the built-in iPhone Shortcuts app, you can set any image as the app icon on your home screen for a unique, immersive look. You can use images of your friends, favorite superheroes, cartoons or whatever you like instead of real iOS app icons. Let’s take a look at how to change app icons on iPhones running iOS 13 and newer right away.
How to customize app icons on iPhone (iOS 14 or higher)
The steps and screenshots below are for an iPhone running iOS 15. If you are using iOS 14, the steps are the same, but there may be some visual changes in the screenshots.
- Open the Shortcuts app and go to the My Shortcuts tab.
- Tap the + icon in the upper right corner.
- Tap Add Action.
- Now click on “Scripts”.
If you don’t see it, use the search bar to find it.
- Tap Open Application.
- Tap the blue word “Application” and select the application you want to create an icon for on the home screen.
- Then click the More icon in the upper right corner (see image).
- Tap Add to Home Screen.
- Tap the tiny image in the lower-left corner and select an image in Files, Photos, or take a photo.
- Remove New shortcuttext and replace it with the application name.
Tip: don’t want the app name under the app icon to look tidier? Leave the name field blank.
- Finally, click “Add”.
You will see an application shortcut with the desired application icon that you have installed on the iPhone home screen. Repeat this process for all other applications you need.
To open an app, tap the new app icon. If you are using iOS 14.3 or later, the app will open directly. However, if you are using an earlier version of iOS, the Shortcuts app will open first and then the app itself. To fix this annoyance, be sure to update your iPhone.
What to do after changing app icons
Once you’ve followed the steps above a few times and created a few custom app icons, you’ll want to get rid of the actual default app icons to make them look exciting. Because what’s the point of having two app icons for the same app?
Click the actual app icon and select Uninstall App → Uninstall from Home Screen. Now this app icon is no longer on the home screen, but in the app library.
Then use a combination of iOS widgets, third-party widgets like Widgetsmith, and customizable app icons for a truly unique iPhone home screen look! It will take a few minutes, but after that the results will be fantastic, as confirmed by the tweets below!
Additional info: Some apps like Reddit and Over offer you an internal way to use a different (non-customizable) app icon. You will find this in the corresponding settings of the application.
Have you changed the app icon on your iPhone? If so, what have you set as the app icon? Share your answers in the comments below.