Salak or fruit of the snake . It is an exotic fruit that has its origins in Indonesia and its scientific name is Salacca zalacca. Its interior is of a pineapple-like flavor, sweet and somewhat bitter at the same time, but more crunchy . Best of all, it contains a wealth of essential nutrients for the body’s overall health.
This exotic fruit has its origins in Indonesia and its scientific name is Salacca zalacca. Currently its cultivation spread throughout Southeast Asia, in countries such as Thailand , Singapore and Malaysia . Although it is widely consumed in the United States and Japan . To give you an idea of its popularity in the East, in Bangkok , Thailand salak is consumed as a snack on the streets.
The inside of this fruit is yellowish-white in color and is divided into three lobes (similar to garlic cloves ), each with its seed (similar to that of the avocado ).
Although its flavor is similar to that of pineapple and has an air of citrus that you already know, its texture and particular humidity will make you experience a new world of sensations if you have the opportunity to try it.
In addition to its very special appearance and innovative flavor, salak has many beneficial properties for your body, it contains calcium, tannins, flavonoids, vitamin C, calcium and phosphorous, among others. What makes it a very complete fruit.
6 benefits of eating salak
- Its content of vitamin C and antioxidants make salak a natural remedy to improve skin, rejuvenate it and keep it healthy.
- An infusion of salak leaves can help improve the heartburn and pulp of the fruit as well. This is thanks to its content of saponins, tannins, flavonoids and calcium, improves indigestion and diarrhea.
- Its potassium and pectin content keep the brain healthy. The former helps transport oxygen to the brain, while the latter protects the brain from excess bad cholesterol. This turns salak into “the fruit of memory”.
- When the skin is placed on tea, it can help control diabetes and the regeneration of pancreatic cells. Another reason why Salak helps control diabetes is because it contains Pterostilbene, this helps in lowering blood sugar.
- Thanks to its high fiber and antioxidant content, it is effective when included in weight loss diets. Furthermore, the calcium and carbohydrates found in fruits provide strength and energy for the body.
- Salak is an excellent source of beta carotene, this flavonoid keeps the eyes healthy.