Adopting a feedback-oriented corporate culture is not simple and requires an important change in managerial and organizational practices ; for this reason, companies often do not know how to proceed with implementation.
Marie-Laure Curie , Cegos France consultant, illustrates an effective 5-step approach below.
- Agree the meaning: why (principle of causality), for what (principle of purpose), predispose to the transformation of performance management practices
- Evaluate the gap , or the state of the art of formal and informal processes within the company.
- Defining the strategy of implementation on new feedback practices: what, who, when, how, how often and with what link with the HR department.
- Communicate with managers or decision makers in the early stages of the project
- Mobilize managers of higher levels. Demonstration by example is one of the keys to success of a change project.
- Train managers to a new position as manager-coach. This is because they will lead the teams towards a lasting change of approach and culture.
Define suitable tools
- Carry out an analysis of the instruments already present internally and their possible limits.
- Choose the most suitable tool . It can be digital or not, perhaps already present in the company (apps, questionnaires, surveys …)
- Involve your managers , from design to implementation of the instrument chosen.
- Make sense of the project, or communicate the benefits of a daily and regular exchange of feedback. Clarify the roles of each.
- Organize a training activity to allow you to learn how to give and receive feedback
- If necessary, train collaborators on the identified tools to be used for the exchange of feedback.
Maintain an approach to feedback over time
- Measure and communicate the results of the implementation of the feedback culture to the whole organization and analyze how it influenced company performance.
- Reward your employees and managers who have distinguished themselves during the project to encourage them to continue to promote this new culture.
- Collect feedback on this new approach to continuously develop and improve it.