Cochifrito . It is a traditional dish of Segovian cuisine made up of young pork (suckling pig). Its name comes from the union of the words “Cochino + frito”. Its elaboration is very simple. Cut the suckling pig into small pieces season with salt and fry in plenty of extra virgin olive oil along with a good handful of garlic cloves until the suckling pig is crispy.
[ hide ]
- 1 Story
- 2 Ingredients for 6 people
- 3 Preparation
- 4 Source
The term comes from the union of two words, pig + fried, this recipe is made throughout Spain . It seems that its origin is humble from the shepherds who cooked this dish outdoors, as it happens with other recipes such as migas or morteruelo. Its elaboration does not require many ingredients, it only needs the meat to be good. The rest are garlic, bay leaf , wine if a more aromatic touch is desired.
Ingredients for 6 people
- 1 kilo of suckling pig
- 6 garlic cloves
- 4 potatoes
- 300 ml of sherry or Montilla Moriles wine
- 4 bay leaves
- A chilli
- Olive oil
- In a container, add two crushed garlic cloves together with the sherry wine , the chilli, the bay leaf and a little salt. We cut the suckling pig into pieces and add it to the container with the marinade. We cover it with plastic film and let it rest overnight. In this way, the meat will be impregnated with the aromatic flavor of the wine and spices.
- After the resting time, we prepare a pot with olive oil. Add the suckling pig with the marinade, remove the garlic, the chilli and the bay leaf and add two new garlics and two bay leaves. We cook over low heat, covering the container for 30 minutes.
- Drain and reserve. Cut the potatoes into quarters and prepare a frying pan with virgin olive oil, add the remaining two garlics and fry the potatoes at low temperature, 140 degrees for 20 minutes.
- After this time we remove the potatoes and let them rest. This step is key to achieving a crisper fry. Let the potatoes rest for about 15 minutes. Next we prepare the pan with oil at a higher temperature now at 180 degrees we fry the suckling pig for five minutes, then we add the potatoes and cook 2 more minutes. Remove from the heat, let stand, rectify with the salt and serve.