Is it possible to live with chronic pain 24 hours?
Before talking about whether it is possible to live with chronic pain and how to do it, I suggest that we start a conversation with that pain. But talk to the pain? Yes, because it is extremely important to know what kind of pain we have. After all, every pain has a name, origin and destination. Its origin, many times, can become unknown, but its name and destiny are able to dialogue with its “owner”.
The name is the location! The destination or goal will always be an alert to defend the body or mind. If there is pain, it means something, that something doesn’t work well. The problem is when the malfunction is in the mind, in the way of thinking! And so, after countless consultations and examinations, a conclusion is reached: no conclusion! The tests were all normal and the pain is still there.
Illustrative Photo: Bruno Marques / cancaonova.com
Many chronic pains have their origin in the catastrophic way of thinking. Thoughts that automatically generate muscle tension, purely and simply for defense. According to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy , what causes pain to decrease considerably is cognitive restructuring. That is, to make a thought, which is dysfunctional, functional; is to make a thought that is working in a sick way healthier. This process, however, is arduous, and cannot be dealt with here. In this situation, it is best to seek a psychologist and start the process of associated therapy and medical guidance.
Here are some tips on how this conversation with pain can start:
1) Reconcile with your pain. Accept it, because it exists! And as much as you want to ignore it, it is firm and strong with you.
2) Eliminate pain checks, checks. It’s the famous: “Are you in pain?” “I am in pain.” “How much does it hurt today?” This type of movement only potentiates pain; and, many times, that pain that was not noticed, comes to light, through this question, and comes up.
.: How to keep physical and mental health balanced?
.: How is it possible to reconcile time with day-to-day activities?
.: Know what psychosomatic illnesses are
.: When it comes to food, do our choices define us?
3) Take away the benefits that pain brings. This would be the “secondary gains”: not going to college, not going to school, not working on the day when you are in pain, not taking care of the house or children , and lying down all day. These are the behaviors of not complying with “obligations” due to pain.
4) Act with the pain! It exists and there is nothing you can do that will eliminate it. Then, your life cannot stop due to it, because every time it appears, it will get stronger and stronger with each escape movement you make before it. So, get up and face the pain, continue living the routine of life even with it. Get up from your bed and stick to your routine; and everything that belongs to your profession, be it with work outside or inside the house, even with an average or inferior performance, because it will be better than nothing.
5) Perform physical activity , dance, ride a bike, go to the gym, do crossfit regularly. Physical activity will also be your medication dose. It is part of the treatment.
6) Seek continuous relaxing practices, such as massage and the like. Above all, choose to live! Take control of your life, stop looking at just one dimension of it, which is chronic pain, and see the whole around you that you choose to lose, because you only value pain, because you can live with it!