The construction of the elaborate presidential residence began in 1792 and was completed in 1800. The site was selected by President Washington, who also supervised the construction work. President John Adams was the first American president to move into the 1800 white house, but he did not occupy it long before President Thomas Jefferson, elected in 1801, was transferred.
The design of the residence was designed by James Hoban in a neoclassical style that is largely attributed to Palladio (the architectural style of the White House is sometimes referred to as Palladian). The winged colonnades were added by President Thomas Jefferson after he moved to the 1801 house. They were designed by Benjamin Henry Latrobe. The west wing was built in 1901, while the oval office was created in 1909. The current east wing was added in 1942. In 2007, the White House was listed as the second favorite architecture in America by the Institute of Architects of the Country.
The cornerstone was laid on 13 th October of October. The foundation and the main residence were built mainly by slave people of African origin. Slave ownership was popular in America at the time, and those who owned slaves received compensation for the work of those who were slaves.
A number of free Americans, both white and black, were also involved in the construction of the White House. Immigrants from Europe were also involved. During construction, the construction of the White House was faced with a shortage of labor and materials. After completion, the house was five times smaller than the originally designed elaborate building. At the time of its completion in 1800, the government had spent $ 232,371.83 for the project.
The house was burned by British troops in 1814 and only its exterior walls remained. It was redesigned and rebuilt by Latrobe and Hoban between 1815 and 1817. The south portico was built in 1824 while the north one was built in 1830. Both arcades were decorated by Italian artisans. Between 1949 and 1951, President Truman did major renovations to strengthen the structure of the house at a cost of $ 5.7 million. The changes made to the house lose its historical beauty, but in 1961, it underwent a major renovation under the First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy. The historical restoration was mainly inspired by the French taste.