Bisoltussin is indicated for the symptomatic treatment of irritative dry cough (non-catarrh cough), from different sources including infectious (like colds and flu).This medication has in its composition dextromethorphan hydrobromide, an antitussive and expectorant compound, which acts at the center of the cough and provides moments of relief in breathing.
How to take Bisoltussin Syrup
Adults and adolescents over 12 years: It is recommended to take between 5 and 10 ml of syrup at 4-hour intervals between doses. However, this medicine can also be taken every 6 or 8 hours, in which case 15 ml doses are recommended. Children 6 to 12 years: the recommended dose ranges from 2.5 to 5 ml, which should be taken every 4 hours.
Bisoltussin Soft Inserts
Adults and adolescents over 12 years: It is recommended to take 1 to 2 softgels every 4 hours or 3 softgels every 6 or 8 hours. Children 6 to 12 years: It is recommended to take 1 soft tablet every 4 or 6 every 6 hours.
Bisoltussin soft chews should be placed in the mouth and allowed to dissolve slowly over the tongue and chewing or swallowing is not recommended.The treatment without medical advice should never exceed 3 to 5 days and it is recommended to consult the doctor if the cough does not improve.
Contraindication of Bisoltussin
You should not take Bisoltussin:
- If you are allergic to the active substance or to any of the other ingredients of the formula;
- On concomitant treatment or treatment in the previous 2 weeks with MAO inhibitors (such as, for example, antidepressants based onfluoxetine ,paroxetine ,tranylcypromine ,moclobemide ); bronchial asthma ; chronic obstructive pulmonary disease ( chronic decrease in breathing capacity); pneumonia ;
- Respiratory insufficiency (decrease of oxygen and elevation of carbon dioxide in the blood);
- Respiratory depression (severe decrease in respiration).
Bisoltussin Adverse Reactions
- Problems in the digestive tract.
Very rare reactions
- Drug dependence (addiction) in individuals who have abused dextromethorphan.
Bisoltussin Side Effects
Some of the side effects of Bisoltussin may include nausea, dizziness, fatigue, vomiting, stomach pain, constipation or diarrhea.
Reaction with unknown frequency
- Hypersensitivity reactions (allergy or intolerance) including anaphylactic reaction (severe allergic reaction that can lead to death);
- Angioedema (swelling in the mouth, tongue, and throat);
- Urticaria (rash on the skin; usually of allergic origin, which causes itching);
- Pruritus (itching with or without burning);
- Skin rash (small blisters on the skin) and erythema (skin disorder);
- Fixed rash by drug (a reddish, itchy spot that appears in the same spot every time the allergy-causing substance is used.