Cabbage or Bandh Cabbage is a popular vegetable used in all dishes. It can also be eaten raw as a cook or as a salad. It is very nutritious. Cabbage is a good source of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fiber. Minerals like potassium, manganese, iron, phosphorus and magnesium are found in plenty. Cabbage helps in the treatment of constipation, stomach ulcers, headaches, obesity, skin diseases, eczema, jaundice, arthritis, eye diseases, heart disease and Alzheimer’s disease.
Benefits of Cabbage –
- Cabbage contains vitamin K and anthocyanins which are good for brain health. It increases mental concentration and helps treat patients with dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Leaf cabbage contains phytonutrients, antioxidants and vitamin C which protects cells from toxins and helps to boost the immune system.
- The potassium present in cabbage helps control heart rate and blood pressure levels.
- The fiber present in cabbage strengthens the digestive system and relieves constipation.
- Leaf cabbage contains anti-cancer compounds such as lupel, syngrin and sulforaphane which inhibit the growth of cancerous tumors and aid in the treatment of cancer.
- Cabbage has high levels of fiber and very little calories which helps in losing weight.
- Closed cabbage has high fiber levels and zero cholesterol which helps reduce bad cholesterol levels and prevents heart disease.
- The anti-inflammatory properties present in cabbage can reduce the effects of inflammation, irritation, allergies, joint pain, fever, and many types of skin disorders.
- The lactic acid present in cabbage is helpful in reducing muscle pain.
- Closed cabbage is a good source of beta carotene which helps prevent cataracts and macular degeneration. It is helpful in promoting eye health.
- Folic acid present in cabbage is very good for pregnant women, which can help prevent neurological birth defects in the newborn.
- Leaf cabbage is rich in vitamin C, sulfur and anthocyanins which helps in skin care. It is helpful in treating premature aging, wrinkles, spots, acne and other skin diseases.