Beef stroganoff or beef stroganoff (in French: boeuf stroganoff and in English: beef stroganoff) is a recipe of Russian origin usually prepared with strips of filet mignon, sour cream , mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, dry white wine or cognac and Worcestershire sauce . There are some variations of the recipes that substitute filet mignon for chicken or include garlic, paprika , black pepper, allspice, mustard, ketchup, soy sauce , parsley , etc.
The meat stroganoff recipe was first published in the book: A gift for young housewives (in Russian: Пода́рок молоды́м хозя́йкам and in English : Classic Russian Cooking: A Gift to Young Housewives), by author Elena Molokhovets (in Russian : Елена Молоховец ) , from 1861. This recipe consisted of strips of meat seasoned with allspice and salt in a sauce prepared with sour cream or sour cream, roux , broth and mustard.
A gift for young housewives, by Russian author Elena Molokhovets, 1917 edition.
In Brazil, stroganoff is served with white rice and chips , usually straw. In the United States and England, stroganoff is served with pasta.
In the United States and England, beef stroganoff is usually served with pasta.
Ingredients for beef stroganoff
The stroganoff recipe is traditionally prepared with filet mignon , called tenderloin in Portugal, which is a cut of meat with a delicate and extremely tender flavor, but which makes the preparation of this dish very expensive.
However, there are other cuts that can be used in the preparation of this recipe, such as the filet and the rump in Brazil and Portugal, the rump and the empty one . If you use some of these cuts, we recommend marinating the meat for 15 minutes with Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce. These sauces are so salty that they work like a brine, breaking down the meat’s proteins, which makes it softer.
Beef cuts in Brazil and Portugal (source: wikipedia)
Portobello Mushroom is an edible mushroom of the species Agaricus bisporus. When it is immature and white, this mushroom is known as champignon de Paris , common mushroom or white mushroom . When it is immature and brown, it is known as brown mushroom or cremini mushroom . The mature version of this mushroom has large dimensions, so its hat is generally used as a container for various fillings, mainly cheese.
The addition of the mushroom to the stroganoff recipe is recent and used mainly in Brazil, the United States, England, Australia and Japan.
Portobello mushrooms in the immature version can be brown or white in color.
In Brazil, the fresh mushroom is often replaced by the canned mushroom that adds a slightly acidic flavor to the recipe.
Canned champignons from Gomes da Costa and Castelo brands
Sour cream | Cream
The fresh cream | Fresh cream is the pure cream prepared by separating the layer of fat that accumulates on the upper surface of unhomogenized milk, during the centrifugation process. This cream is pasteurized and contains no thickeners or stabilizers. The fat content of fresh cream or fresh cream varies between 30% and 49.9%.
This cream has less whey and high fat content, so it can be used in sauces, soups and preparations that are subjected to heat.
The fresh cream is ideal for the recipe, because due to the high fat content, it supports heating.
The traditional sour cream | Traditional cream is a mixture of pasteurized sour cream and stabilizers to increase the product’s durability. Some brands also use thickeners such as starch, xanthan gum and loadena. The fat content of traditional cream varies between 20% and 49.9%.
This cream can be used in the preparation of the stroganoff recipe, but avoid products with a low percentage of fat that will not resist heating.
Traditional sour cream can be used in the recipe, but avoid low-fat versions
In Russia, the meat stroganoff recipe is prepared with Smetana or Cmetaha, a type of sour cream or sour cream with a fat content of 9 to 36%. This cream, typical of Central and Eastern Europe, can be replaced by crème fraîche.
Smetana is an sour cream or sour cream, typical of Central and Eastern Europe.
English sauce | Worcestershire sauce
Worcestershire sauce, Worcestershire sauce, is a fermented liquid flavoring prepared with barley malt vinegar, alcohol vinegar, molasses, sugar , salt, anchovies, tamarind extract, onion, garlic, spices (probably cloves, garlic sauce). soy , lemon , pickles and pepper) and flavorings. This sauce is a flavor enhancer for dishes and drinks, adding umami flavor to dishes.
Cheaper brands of Worcestershire tend to substitute several of the traditional ingredients for cheaper ingredients that do not undergo long pickling (pickling) or ripening processes. The umami flavor of anchovies is often replaced by soy sauce. Vegan versions also replace anchovies with vegetable and spice ingredients.
Worcestershire sauce from the English brand Pea & Perrins and the American brand Heinz contains anchovies; Brazilian brand Kitano sauce does not contain anchovies
Beef stroganoff recipe
Total time35 minutes
it suits4 people
- Kitchen scale (optional)
- Chef’s Knife
- Cutting board
- Large pot
- Silicone spatula or similar
- 300 g of filet mignon or similar
- 180 g dry white or cognac wine (180 ml | 3/4 cup)
- 150 g of fresh cream (180 ml | 3/4 cup)
- 100 g of champignon or white mushroom
- 60 g of olive oil or neutral vegetable oil, such as canola or sunflower (4 tablespoons)
- 50 g onion (1/2 medium onion)
- 50 g canned peeled tomatoes (1 medium tomato)
- 30 g Worcestershire sauce (2 tablespoons)
- 30 g ketchup (optional) (2 tablespoons)
- 5 g garlic (1 large clove)
- black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
Method of preparation
- Prepare the ingredients ( mise en place) : Separate all the ingredients and measure them, making them ready for the beginning of the recipe. This step is important for the success of your recipe, as it avoids surprises in the middle of the process.
Chop the onion, garlic, peeled tomatoes and mushrooms. Keep them refrigerated until use.
- Slice the meat:Slice the meat into strips approximately 2 x 5 cm, keep at room temperature.
- Grill the meat:In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil or vegetable oil over a high heat. When the olive oil is hot, fry a few strips of meat. Repeat the operation until all the meat is fried, if necessary add 1 more spoon of oil. Reserve.
If you put the strips of meat at once, they will cook, instead of browning. Browning the meat leaves residues at the bottom of the pan that are important for the taste of the stroganoff sauce.
- Sauté the onion:Reduce the heat to low and heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil or vegetable oil. Then add the onion, saute until the onion is translucent, scraping the bottom of the pan.
- Add the tomato and Worcestershire sauce:When the onion is translucent, add the peeled tomato or tomato sauce and the ketchup (optional).
- Add the meat strips, white wine and Worcestershire sauce:Add the golden meat strips, the dry white or cognac wine and Worcestershire sauce, mixing well.
- Add the mushroom:Add the mushroom slices and mix gently until the mushrooms are lightly cooked.
- Add the cream:When the mushrooms are lightly cooked, add the cream and mix until it starts to boil. Then, adjust the salt and season with black pepper and cook for another 5 minutes or until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Serve:Serve the beef stroganoff immediately with white rice and straw potatoes..