You have more doubts when they mention words like: “Symmetric fiber or asymmetric optical fiber, etc.” But don’t worry, we’ve come to help you understand what these terms mean and what advantages and disadvantages characterize them. So that later you can make a decision of which fiber of internet connection to choose and thus not waste your savings.
What is symmetric fiber
Symmetrical fiber, as its name implies, refers to the download speed being equal to or the same as the upload speed . For example, if you purchase an internet plan with a 1 GB download, it will also include 1 GB upload in the speed of connection to the network. And how does it benefit you? And what was it like before? We will answer this last question a little later.
Advantages and benefits of symmetric fiber
However, our lifestyle has changed in the last 20 years and today we also need upload speed. For example, if you want to upload photos, videos or want to work as a YouTuber. Symmetrical fiber gives you these benefits:
- Videoconferences with Skype or Zoom, smooth.
- To have “luxuries” at home, such as HD television signal, 4K, Netflix, etc., they need more bandwidth both for uploading and downloading.
- It serves for your fluid teleworking . To mount a large amount of content on the Internet, the sooner it is uploaded, the better. To play on the most advanced game console and in streaming without interruptions.
- The whole house connected to the internet and run it through voice command: Smart lights, smart surveillance camera, smart thermostat to maintain the ideal temperature for the pet and serve food when you are traveling, by a voice command connected to the WI-FI from the mobile.
Another advantage is that it distributes the bandwidth evenly among all the devices, so that they work efficiently even simultaneously.
Optical fiber (asymmetric or FTTH (Fiber-To-The-Home))
Those who remember the beginning of the Internet will agree that with asymmetric fiber you had to disconnect one of the landlines in the house to connect the modem (but it was solved shortly after).
- The PC’s operating system took about 10 minutes to start.
- If a call was received or someone picked up an auxiliary telephone in the house, the connection would drop .
- Likewise, they will remember that more megabytes of download was needed, because what we did most was download songs, videos, games, etc. To mention an example: if you bought a 100 MB plan, it meant that it was 100 MB download and 10 MB upload …
We hardly consider the most interesting aspects of how much the Internet connection processes have improved . It is good to find out what type of connection our service provider uses , so we can make better decisions.
Stay tuned to this wonderful digital age in a simple and practical way, as is our custom to publish them in short articles like these.