Octreotide is used in the course of the treatment of forms of severe diarrhea and flushing associated with some cancers. It is also used during the treatment of some cases of acromegaly .
What is Octreotide?
Octreotide works by reducing the levels of different hormones and chemical messengers in the blood .
How is Octreotide taken?
Octreotide is taken by injection .
Side effects of Octreotide
Octreotide can restore fertility in infertile women with acromegaly . It is also capable of leading to both increases and decreases in blood sugar , as it affects blood sugar levels.
Potential side effects include:
- stomach pain or discomfort
- He retched
- mild or moderate pain at the injection site
A doctor should be contacted immediately in case of:
- feeling of tightness in the chest
- swelling of the mouth, face, lips or tongue, eyes, hands, feet, ankles or calves
- strong or persistent pain or feeling in your stomach
- severe or persistent vomiting or diarrhea
- bloating in the stomach
- swollen or enlarged glands
- breathing difficulties
- difficulty swallowing
Contraindications and warnings on the use of Octreotide
L ‘ Octreotide must necessarily be taken at least two hours before or after antacids containing hydroxide of aluminum or magnesium, of Didanosine, sucralfate or iron-based or zinc products, in the case in which they follow a treatment with one of these substances. During treatment with Octreotide the intake of excessive quantities of caffeine, for example in the form of coffee, tea, energy drinks, cola or chocolate should be absolutely avoided.
A doctor should always be informed before treatment if:
- you have allergies to the active substance, its excipients, other drugs or any food;
- the medicines, phytotherapy and supplements taken, in particular beta blockers, Bromocriptine, calcium channel blockers, Quinidine, Terfenadine, Cyclosporine, Insulin and oral hypoglycaemic agents;
- have suffered or still suffer from stones or other gallbladder problems, kidney disease, diabetes, thyroid problems, heart disease or pancreas problems;
- you are in a precarious state of health ;
- you are in a state of malnutrition ;
- dialysis is being performed ;
- you are pregnant or breastfeeding .
Octreotide may impair your ability to drive or operate dangerous machinery . Taking alcohol and certain medicines can exacerbate this side effect