Olanzapine is a principle that acts causing an’ alteration in the activity of molecules naturally present in the brain, because it belongs to the class of atypical antipsychotics .
What is Olanzapine used for?
Olanzapine is mainly used for the treatment of schizophrenia symptoms in adults and children from 13 years of age. From the same age this principle can be used in the treatment of bipolar disorder .
How is Olanzapine taken?
Olanzapine must always be taken at the same times , in order to guarantee constant coverage. This substance can be taken in the form of lozenges or tablets to be dissolved in the mouth, normally once or twice a day, both on a full and empty stomach. While taking it, you must strictly follow the instructions of your doctor, who may – during the course of treatment – change the doses of Olanzapine administration.
Potential side effects of Olanzapine include:
- changes in the menstrual cycle
- behavioral changes
- difficulty walking
- difficulty falling asleep or staying awake
- pain in arms, legs, back and joints
- problems in sex life
- breast augmentation or nipple discharge
- weight gain
- dry mouth
The doctor should be contacted without hesitation if any of the following symptoms occur:
- fast or irregular heart beat
- difficulty breathing or swallowing
- strong muscle stiffness
- swelling of the arms, hands, feet, ankles or calves
- sore throat, fever, chills
- uncontrollable movements (also of the face)
- vision problems
- rash or urticaria
- excessive sweating
Contraindications and warnings associated with the use of Olanzapine
During treatment with Olanzapine it is good not to smoke , because tobacco could reduce the effect of the drug. Furthermore, you should drink a lot during the whole day. In case of dementia the drug should not be taken.
The doctor should always be advised if one of the following cases occurs:
- you are taking medicines, herbal or dietary supplements , in particular antidepressants, antihistamines, carbamazepine, agonists of dopamine, Cabergoline, levodopa, pergolide and ropinirole, fluoroquinolones, fluvoxamine, Ipratropium, anxiolytics, sedatives or tranquilizers, antihypertensives, omeprazole, rifampin, drugs sleep, ticlopidine, psychotropic drugs and medicines against irritable bowel syndrome, Parkinson’s, convulsions, ulcers, urinary problems or car sickness;
- you are allergic to olanzapine or other drugs;
- in the past drugs have been used or are still used or if drugs have been abused and have had to do with side effects;
- the intake of psychiatric drugs had to be stopped due to serious side effects;
- you are pregnant ;
- you suffer from phenylketonuria .
While taking Olanzapine it is also essential:
- pay attention to the sleepiness that can be caused by the drug while driving or operating dangerous machinery;
- inform doctor and dentist in case of surgical or dental interventions;
- ask the doctor what side effects could occur if you take grapefruit or grapefruit juice at the same time .