The letrozole is used in the treatment of breast cancer in early stage in postmenopausal women who have already made other therapies (eg, radiation therapy or surgical removal of the tumor), which are treated with tamoxifen for five years or whose cancer has already metastasized or worsened during treatment with Tamoxifen.
What is Letrozole?
Letrozole works by reducing the concentration of estrogen hormones generated by the body. Doing so helps block the development of certain forms of breast cancer whose cells need these hormones to multiply.
How is Letrozole taken?
Letrozole is taken orally in the form of a pill to be taken, usually once a day.
Side effects of Letrozole
Among the possible side effects of Letrozole we also find:
- hot flashes
- night sweats
- He retched
- decreased appetite
- stomach pain
- weight changes
- muscle , joint or bone pain
- excessive tiredness
- swelling of the hands, feet, ankles or calves
- vaginal irritation or discharge
- bad breast
- hair loss
- clouded view
It is best to notify your doctor immediately in the presence of:
- breathing problems
- feeling of tightness in the chest
- swelling of the mouth, face, lips or tongue
- bleeding or bruising
- bad upper right stomach
- flu-like symptoms
- pain, heating or heaviness in the back or calves
- severe pain in the head
- sudden trouble speaking
- sudden weakness or numbness of an arm or leg
Contraindications and warnings on the use of Letrozole
Letrozole should only be taken after menopause or if you cannot have children.
Before therapy it is essential to warn the doctor:
- of allergies to the active substance, its excipients, other medicines, foods, or other substances;
- medications, phytotherapy and supplements taken, specifically estrogen-containing medicines, Raloxifene and Tamoxifen;
- if you suffer (or have suffered) from high cholesterol, osteoporosis or liver disease ;
- if you are pregnant or breastfeeding .
Therapy can last for many years and must never be stopped without warning the doctor .Taking Letrozole can affect your ability to drive or operate dangerous machinery .