The Latanoprost is used to promote healing of ‘ ocular hypertension and glaucoma, open angle .
What is Latanoprost?
Latanoprost works by reducing the pressure in the eye, increasing the drainage of fluids from the inside. It is an analogue of prostaglandins.
How is Latanoprost taken?
Latanoprost is administered in the form of eye drops .
Side effects on the use of Latanoprost
Latanoprost can make the iris brown and darken the eyelids.
Among its other possible side effects we also find:
- clouded view
- mutations in eyelash growth
- symptoms of a cold
- burning, dryness, itching or a stinging sensation in the eye
- foreign body sensation in the eye
- increased tearing
It is essential to notify the doctor immediately in the presence of:
- breathing problems
- feeling of tightness or chest pain
- swelling of the mouth, face, lips or tongue
- darker eyelid or iris
- inflammation, secretions, irritation, pain, redness or swelling of the eye or eyelid
- red, swollen, blistered or peeling skin
- visual disturbances
Contraindications and warnings on the use of Latanoprost
Latanoprost may not be indicated in the presence of ophthalmic herpes and if you are taking other similar medicines, for example Bimatoprost.
Before taking it, it is essential to warn the doctor:
- possible allergies to the active substance, to its excipients, to any other medicine, to foods or other substances;
- medicines, phytotherapics and supplements taken;
- if you suffer (or have suffered) from eye inflammations (for example uveitis), ophthalmic herpes or forms of glaucoma other than open-angle glaucoma;
- in the presence of swelling, infections or trauma to the eyes;
- in the presence of intraocular lenses;
- in the presence of scheduled eye surgery;
- in the event of pregnancy or breastfeeding .
The soft contact lenses may absorb Latanoprost. For this you have to remove them before application and put them back no less than 15 minutes after administration of the medicine.
Furthermore, it must be remembered that the eye drops can modify visual abilities , thus reducing the ability to drive or operate dangerous machinery.