The Cefixime is an antibiotic appartenenta to the cephalosporin family, in particular it is a third-generation cephalosporin, which as such – with a mechanism similar to that caused by penicillins – inhibits bacterial cell wall synthesis.
What is Cefixima used for?
It can be used to treat different types of infections:
- middle ear infections;
- sinus infections;
- severe lung infections acquired outside the hospital;
- urinary tract infections ;
- throat infections;
- infections that cause the sudden worsening of past bronchitis;
- genital infections.
It is active on Gram-negative bacteria (Haemophilus influenzae, Moraxella catarrhalis, enterobacteria) and on Streptococci , while it is unable to exert its action on Bacteroides fragilis and Enterobacteria .
How is Cefixima taken?
Cefixima is administered orally (in the form of tablets) in a single-dose daily. It can be taken with water before, during or after a meal, preferably always at the same time of the day.
The duration of treatment changes according to the type and severity of the infection. Usually the treatment is one week. If the doctor prescribes it, the duration can extend up to two weeks.
Side effects of Cefixima
The side effects associated with the use of this drug are manifold.
Very rare side effects:
- reduction in the number of different cells in the blood;
- liver dysfunction (hepatitis, jaundice );
- impaired kidney function;
- sense of hyperactivity;
Rare side effects:
- sense of lightheadedness or fever;
- after prolonged use, new infections with resistant bacteria or fungi;
- loss or loss of appetite;
- inflammation of the inside of the mouth and / or other internal surfaces;
- temporary increase in the blood level in the urea;
Uncommon side effects:
- feeling sick and / or retching;
- stomach ache; indigestion;
- headaches ;
- temporary abnormalities in the results of liver function tests;
Common side effects:
- discharge of diarrhea or loose stools.
Contraindications and warnings of Cefixima
Before taking, you should always tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including those without a prescription.
During pregnancy the use of Cefixima is contraindicated ; during breastfeeding , the doctor will decide whether or not to discontinue the therapy.Cefixime does not cause any side effects to the detriment of the ability to drive and use machines.
It is advisable not to take Cefixime in case of allergy or hypersensitivity to this drug or to any of the excipients or if you have previously suffered from an immediate or serious allergic reaction caused by treatment with penicillins or other beta-lactam antibiotics.Due caution should be taken in case of severe kidney problems .