The cefepime is an antibiotic (fourth generation cephalosporin) pursuing an activity similar to ceftazidime . It acts on Enterobacter cloacae, Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Staphylococcus aureus.
It is able to inhibit the synthesis of the bacterial wall of both Gram-positive and Gram-negative microorganisms, compromising its structural properties and therefore causing death.
What is cefepima used for?
It is used to treat the following infections :
- infections of the reproductive organs, urinary tract and kidneys
- infections in people with low white blood cell counts (neutropenia)
- dermatological infections
- blood infections caused by bacteria (bacteremia)
- meningitis (in children)
- abdominal infections
How is cefepima taken?
It is marketed in the form of a powder for solution for injection or infusion and is administered by intramuscular injection, slow injection into a vein or through a small cannula into a vein. Usually the treatment lasts 7-10 days, depending on the type of infection.
Side effects of cefepima
The recognized side effects are many. The most common are:
- positive result of the Coombs test (a test that highlights some problems in the blood)
- problems with blood clotting (easy bruising)
- inflammation or burning or pain of the vein in the injection area
- discharge of diarrhea
- liver problems
Less common side effects are:
- mushroom infection in the mouth
- infections in the vagina
- changes in the number of white blood cells in the blood (febrile state, chills and sore throat)
- inflammation of the large intestine (discharge of diarrhea , usually with blood and mucus, pain in the stomach and fever)
- feeling sick and retching
- hives , itching
- kidney problems
Rarer side effects are instead:
- severe allergic reactions (sudden swelling of the face, throat, lips or mouth which can make breathing and swallowing difficult; sudden swelling of the hands, feet and ankles).
Other possible side effects:
- fungal infections
- seizure symptoms
- shortness of breath
- abdominal pain
Contraindications and warnings of cefepima
If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, or if you are breast-feeding, you should seek advice from your doctor before taking this medicine. Particular care should be taken when administering it to patients suffering from kidney problems; in allergy sufferers, the elderly, with bowel problems (particularly inflammatory, colitis type).