There are some operations that should be part of the routine of anyone who uses the internet, but for many surfers the browser cache continues to be a kind of mystery.
In this post we will explain in a very simple and concise way what the browser cache is, what it is used for, why it is useful to delete it and how to do this on different navigation devices.
The term cache in computer science indicates an area of memory that is extremely fast but usually of a low order of magnitude of capacity. Its purpose is to speed up program execution.
The browser, or the program we use to navigate, like any other program, uses the web cache to speed up its performance in this case to load a web page that we have already visited more quickly .
It will also have happened to you to reload the web page but not being able to see the changes made to a website, this happens because the browser has cached all the files relating to the pages you have already visited and is showing you the ones it has saved locally and is not downloading those that are online.
When is it useful to clear the browser cache?
The cache speeds up the loading of the web pages we have already visited, but periodically it is good to delete it for two reasons:
- To see the most updated version of the sites we visit. This is very important especially if we shop online and it is therefore essential to see the prices and availability of the products always updated.
- To free up space on our computer or mobile navigation device, the cache is in fact made up of files that if they are never removed can take up entire gigabytes.
How do I clear my cache?
Clearing the cache is a very simple operation, but each program has its own methods, here are the links to the official tutorials of the most popular browsers:
- Computer: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2392709?hl=it&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&oco=0
- Android: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2392709?hl=it&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&oco=0
- Iphone and Ipad: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2392709?hl=it&co=GENIE.Platform%3DiOS&oco=0
- Computer: https://support.mozilla.org/it/kb/Come%20cancellare%20il%20contenuto%20della%20cache
- Mac: https://support.apple.com/it-it/guide/safari/clear-your-browsing-history-sfri47acf5d6
- Iphone and Ipad: https://support.apple.com/it-it/HT201265
Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Computer: https://support.microsoft.com/it-it/help/17438/windows-internet-explorer-view-delete-browsing-history
- Computer: http://help.opera.com/Windows/12.10/it/cache.html
All clear? Then a nice clean cache and we sail lighter!