FoxPro. Object-oriented system for Database generation and application development. From Visual FoxPro you can create Form, Database, Reports, Views, Projects among others.
[ hide ]
- 1 Story
- 2 Definition
- 3 Features
- 4 Advantages
- 5 Disadvantages
- 6 System requirements to install Microsoft Visual FoxPro
- 7 Source
Visual Fox Pro is a tool that was born from the beginning to manage data , it contains a large number of instructions for handling data, and programming them in other languages is a heavy task.
The beginnings of this tool go back to the year 1960 in a system called Retrieve which was marketed by TymShare Corporation, this system was used by Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, California .
In the late 1960s JPL assigned a company employee, Jeb Long, to write a program that would do the same things Retrieve did. In 1973 Jeb Long developed a file management program called JPLDIS (Jet Propulsion Laboratory Display Information System), this program was written in FORTAN, it ran on a UNIVAC 1108 machine.
JPLDIS was the precursor to DBASE, Jeb Long along with Wayne Ratliff translated DBase into DBase II, a version that ran on personal computers, all in assembly language, and formed the Ashton-Tate company.
Later DBase and Clipper emerged, these tools are excellent for data manipulation, but like everything, it must evolve.
Microsoft acquired Visual Fox Pro from Ashton-Tate, this product was included in the Visual Studio package until version 6, from version 7 onwards VFP is available as a standalone product, this has created several myths about the future of VFP, if you see that a product is “removed” from the Language Suite, the most logical thing is that it is because the product is going to be discontinued.
The reality is very different, VFP was launched as a standalone product for various reasons such as the release time, cost and power it has with its integrated database.
VFP is an integral tool with great potential, its integrated data engine is excellent, the response time is incredible; It is an object-oriented tool, it can be the Back End, Middle Ware, Front End or all three of a system. It can be a COM Client and Server, you can work on the Internet and much more. It should not be mortified if the nomenclature is not understandable. As the book progresses, the definitions of each one can be seen.
Knowing the operation of VFP will allow you to make powerful applications in a very small period of time, everything is in your imagination, it can be done from a simple catalog with registrations, cancellations, changes, queries to Internet systems, Fat or Thin Applications (Fat Client / Thin Client), all with one product.
VFP has a virtual community on the Internet, which will be seen later. This community is made up of people from various countries who come together for the sole purpose of sharing their knowledge and helping each other, it really is a great support when the applications are being developed.
Visual FoxPro is a programming language object – oriented and procedural, a Management System Database or Database Management System (DBMS), and since version 7.0, an administrator System relational databases produced by Microsoft.
Visual FoxPro offers developers a set of tools to create database applications for the desktop, client / server environments, tablet PCs or the Web .
Among its characteristics can be listed:
- Powerful and very fast capabilities for handling native and remote data.
- Flexibility to create all kinds of database solutions.
- Object Oriented ProgrammingLanguage .
- Use of SQL Statements natively.
- Powerful handling of views, cursors and complete control of relational structures.
- Your own built-in database manager. However, it can also connect to database servers, such as Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, or MySQL.
- It features a revamped and highly flexible reporting engine for more robust solutions.
- Since version 9.0, extensive XML support, both as a data source (eg, XML-based Web services) and for generating reports in XML format.
- Since version 7.0, support for Microsoft IntelliSense technology.
- Data Management and Interoperability (Create .NET solutions, compatible with hierarchical XML. Exchange data with SQL through the SQL language).
- Expandable Productivity Tools for the Developer (Enhance your user interfaces with forms and improved image support, customize windows).
- Flexibility to Build All Kinds of Database Solutions (Build and deploy individual and remote applications for Windows-based PCs. Create and access .COM components and XML-based Web services compatible with Microsoft .NET.
- System Function Report (Precise control of reports and data formatting).
- Easy to Update (Simple update, VFP 8.0 is 100% compatible with VFP 9.0).
- Rumors that Microsoft plans to end support for FoxPro have been common since its acquisition of the product, despite the fact that it has had the longest support lifetime for a Microsoft product.
- Maintenance difficulty.
System requirements to install Microsoft Visual FoxPro
- Minimum Requirements PC processor with Pentium-class processor.
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Operating System with Service Pack 3 or later operating system Microsoft Windows XP or later version Microsoft Windows Server 2003or later version.
- Memory 64 MB of RAM (minimum); 128 MB (higher recommended).
- Hard Drive 165 MB of available hard drive space for a typical installation; 20 MB of available hard disk space to meet Microsoft Visual FoxPro Prerequisites.
- CD-ROM or DVD-ROM reader.
- Super VGA 800 X 600 monitor or higher resolution monitor with 256 colors.
- Microsoft Mouse or compatible mouse.